Latino Weddings
Options

Any Food ideas for African American and Hispanic Wedding

I am Mexican and my boyfriend is African American. We are serving the food buffet style but with all glassware and fancy chaffing dishes that comes included with my formal venue. I thought about combining the two cultures and having two different options: Mole, rice, and beans then bbq brisket fancy macaroni and green beans. I just feel like there is something missing or the food is too plain for the venue. Any suggestions that won't cost an arm and a leg? 

Re: Any Food ideas for African American and Hispanic Wedding

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There are so many great options. You can fancy it up by serving diifferent appetizers from both heritages. You can do empanadas, quesadilla,and flautas. You can serve chips and guacamole in a martini glass for a fancy look.. Check this link out for more ideas:

http://www.mexgrocer.com/mexican-recipes-appetizers.html

You can also serve soul food which represents your FI's heritage. Their is Southern Fried Chicken, Glazed Country Ham, Catfish fillets, Seasoned mixed greens, candied sweet potatoes, smokey black-eyed peas, buttermilk biscuits served with honey butter or cornbread.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP
  • Options
    aghouston86aghouston86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm AA and my FI is from El Salvador, and we are skipping trying to "blend" the cultures as far as food is concerned and we are having Italian food lol. Besides we didn't have the option to do that with our catering package. We had our tasting today and I'm 100% everyone will enjoy the food regardless their nationality.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mlewis85mlewis85 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with aghouston86.  I'm AA and my fiance is mexican american.  we chose not to do the cultural food thing b/c it seemed so... stereotypical.  A mexican and a black person get married so they serve chicken, tamlales, and refried beans?  Lol IDK it just sounds bad so we're going with a neutral menu and probably serving italian.

We will have cultural snacks, deserts, and drinks though.  We will have Joya soda straight from Mexico, a tres leches cake, some peach cobbler, pecan prailine, mexican candies, etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your replies. We personally did want to stick with having cultural food since we do not have any catering limitations from our venue. I really like the idea of the martini glasses with the guacamole and chips especially because my venue will let me use theses huge martini glasses that they usually use for a mashed potato martini.  
  • Options
    alba x mongealba x monge member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am Salvadorean and FI is Boricua.  Although we are both latin we have very different types of food and tastes.  We went to the Catering Hall, had them make their best meal within our budget and we picked a fish, Tilapia w/ Mango Sauce; a meat, porterhouse with mushroom sauce; and a chicken Marsala.   I was acutally very surprised at how many different types of food we were offered.  and they will even add a little spice if you prefer to have it with either more or less of a particular spice (at no extra charge);  fresh greens and either spanish rice, mashed potatoes or baked potatoe.  that way you can safely target all food tastes and your guests won't be bochinchando that you chose the 'OTHER" kind of food over ours :) 
    Mr. & Mrs. Rosa
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards