Michigan-Detroit
Options

Struggling newbie

Hi ladies, I'm a newbie to the knot and I apparently have no idea what I'm doing. Can anyone give me a couple pointers on where to start? So far I have put the budget tool to use and am attempting to tackle the giant checklist ahead of me. I'm overwhelmed to say the lease : ) My sweetie and I are getting married June 25, 2011. Also- I am trying to switch my knot account over to a new email account. I attempted to edit my email under the "my account" tab, but kept receiving a message about my email already being in use. Any sugestions??
I'm not normally this incompetent- I swear!

Re: Struggling newbie

• Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First of welcome and congratulations!  Second of all, breath.  It'll all be ok!

I think you're already on the right track with your budget which is the first thing you should work on.  No sense is checking out vendors that are way out of your price range.  Now that you've got your budget estimated, you should start looking for a ceremony and reception location.  Use the sticky note at the top of the Detroit board for ideas.  It is a fantastic reference for all things related to vendors.

Once you've got the ceremony and reception location, you can start booking other vendors (photography, flowers, bakery, etc.)  Just take things one at a time and you'll be ok.

I'm not too much help when it comes to the e-mail issue except to say that the knot always has technical glitches so I wouldn't be surprised if it was their issue.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, and welcome!  We would all love to hear more of your plans!  This is a great board - I ask a lot of random questions, and get useful responses (even if they don't always agree with each other, it gives me things to think about).

To echo what pp said, start with the budget.  And also the guest list - I am only 3 months in to planning this whole thing, but so far I have found the guest list to be the most difficult/contentious.  And it really determines which venues you can look at and what you can spend on your other vendors!

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!  PP have already given you great advice, just wanted to add that we're date twins!  Woo hoo!Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome & congrats. Can't help with the email issue, but glad to have you here on the Detroit knottie board.
  • Options
    lcsnowflakelcsnowflake member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome! I was really overwhelmed with the checklist when I first joined, but don't worry- everything will get done eventually!
  • Options
    Liz the BrideLiz the Bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Shells!!! Dont woryy...this will all come together!

image September 27, 2008
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You are all so kind and welcoming! I love the love :) If I had all the money in the world this whole "planning the wedding" task would be much less stressful :)
    Sammichele- how fun that we're date twins! Your pictures are so adorable. Very real and fun. Who tool them for you? I love 'em!
    I guess I should tell you a bit more...I wasn't sure which board to join. I live in Detroit, but am getting married just outside Traverse City. So I kind of feel inbetween you know? The wedding and cereony will be outside at the same location- which is a plot of land that has been in our family for years. My man and I aren't much for the formal traditional type so outdoor less formal works for us better. I have a huge mega family and a low budget so it makes it a little tricky. We have 310 on the guest list but are hoping to cut it down to 200. (I have over 30 cousins on each side plus my sweetie's family of 60- yikes!) Ok- I don't want to bore you so I'll stop rambling now. Thanks again for the warm welcome and congrats to everyone on their engagement!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards