Jewish Weddings
Options

Help! Centerpiece religious question

Hello!

Here the deal, FI is Jewish (Reform) and I am not. I am trying to find meaningful and symbolic things to have at our reception since part of the reception area is also our ceremony space. I found the image of the Ten Sefirot and its meaning to be very powerful. I was wondering if I arraigned my flowers (in bowels) in to this shape (Picture below) would it be offensive? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I do not want to offend anyone. TIA

Re: Help! Centerpiece religious question

• Options
    I can't think of any reason it would be offensive, however, I don't think it will have any meaning to anyone.  I wouldn't make the connection if I saw flowers, or really anything in this configuration.

I think it's really nice that you want to include jewish elements but try not to overthink it.  Do some simple things, like break the glass at the end of the ceremony and do a challah cutting at the beginning of your reception, and that will add jewish elements.
    Lisa
    Not a newbie, but, had to create a new account - formerly LBR_NJ

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    that being said, if YOU find the sefirot to be a powerful image, go ahead and use it.  i don't think there's any etiquette on using kabbalah images - heck Madona does it, why can't you?   however, i agree with pp, most people won't notice it or know what it means.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_help-centerpiece-religious-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:399Discussion:7d3ef05a-e460-44f4-8640-e2e47d065201Post:0c5b4be6-6d28-44d5-ab1c-dd41a6363d29">Re: Help! Centerpiece religious question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can't think of any reason it would be offensive, however, I don't think it will have any meaning to anyone.  I wouldn't make the connection if I saw flowers, or really anything in this configuration. I think it's really nice that you want to include jewish elements but try not to overthink it.  Do some simple things, like break the glass at the end of the ceremony and do a challah cutting at the beginning of your reception, and that will add jewish elements.
    Posted by LisaBRM[/QUOTE]

Ditto.
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    Have you read "The New Jewish Wedding" by Anita Diamant?  That may give you some ideas about ways to incorporate Jewish traditions into your wedding.  

Also, bowls, not bowels, that's something different.  
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_jewish-weddings_help-centerpiece-religious-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:399Discussion:7d3ef05a-e460-44f4-8640-e2e47d065201Post:b84fbd41-702a-4749-af8c-9ddd327820d0">Re: Help! Centerpiece religious question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you read "The New Jewish Wedding" by Anita Diamant?  That may give you some ideas about ways to incorporate Jewish traditions into your wedding.   <strong>Also, bowls, not bowels, that's something different</strong>.  
    Posted by jessicabessica[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards