Florida-Central Florida

Cermony and Reception OPINION!!!!! (HELP)

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to "the knot" and the whole wedding planning ordeal. My fiance and I are working with a small budget and wanted to know your experiences or opinions on two venues were looking at to host our cermony and reception. ::DRUM ROLL:: PLEASE

- Womens Club of Winter Park????
- Longwood Community Center/ Building????

I've only seen the Women's Club so far. Its budget friendly and I'm picturing a Victorian themed wedding... Kinda like it but not in love :-/ What do you think?

Re: Cermony and Reception OPINION!!!!! (HELP)

• Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, I've never been to either of them. I know if you can get someone that lives in Longwood to sign the papers it makes the rent even cheaper for the Community Center though! Good luck and welcome!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited December 2011
     I am from Longwood, my parents live there.  The community center is very pretty on the outside definitely with the victorian feel and big oak tree plus the whole area is historic little downtown longwood.  The space inside you will have to completely decorate yourselve and I believe it only holds up to like 120, so depending on your guest list.  I condisdered it for a possible reception place but myself but it wasn't going to be large enough.  It is definitely not expensive.

All the girls on here are very budget friendly.
  • AileeneGAileeneG member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to several events at the Longwood Center and it's a beautiful building. The people are nice to work with, but as was mentioned before, there's not much in the main room for decorations (Which I actually prefer so it's more of a clean slate to do what you want), and I considered it for my recpetion, but ultimately, it wasn't the feel we were looking for and it was also way too small for us. It's a decent sized place, my list was just really large. 

They do let you bring your own caterers, so that gives you some flexibility, too.
  • edited December 2011
    We had our reception at the Winter Park Women's Club and loved it.  We liked the look and location.  My mom and I had fun finding and thinking of ways to dress it up in ways that we liked.  The location was key to us... it was great to have the reception off of Park Avenue since we were married in church on Park Ave.  I liked that we could bring in our own caterer and alcohol... and I liked that our guests could enjoy the beauty and entertainment of Park Avenue.  If you want to look at our pictures (there are a lot) look at the 2 reception galleries on my Flickr account.  The decor pictures are towards the front of each gallery

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeannieh525/collections/72157624684427879/
    jeannie ♥ harry {05.01.10}
    married bio with vendor reviews
    planning bio
  • edited December 2011
    A friend of mine had her wedding at the Longwood CC & her pictures turned out BEAUTIFUL! I wasn't there for the wedding though so I can't tell you first hand. :)
  • chiokevanchiokevan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They were in my top three! Both were nice inside and budget friendly. I thought it would have been great to have the cocktail hour on the huge wrap around porch at the Longwood CC. I didn't pick it thought because I didn't think it had a sufficient ceremony site. The lady told me some people do it on the stage inside or out in the little gazebo next to the parking lot. There is a church across the street and I looked into it but it wasn't going to work out. ( i forget why now).
         Both are great choices!
  • edited December 2011
    I live in MD so I didn't go look at venues but my parent's went to look at the Women's Club (where their reception was 25 years ago!) recently and I seem to remember them saying that they're completely re-doing the entire inside to modernize it a bit.  My parent's said it kinda needed it and that what they were describing sounded really nice.  We didn't end up booking it because it was much too small for my 200+ guest list.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know the buildings but I do think that you should keep looking if you're not in love with a venue choice!

Have you been out to the Cocoa Civic Center? It's in Cocoa Village. Sooooooo cute. They have this huge outdoor promenade were you can have your ceremony or reception or both, and it overlooks the water. The price is good. And if you want indoors, you can have one or both inside the Civic Center.

And immediately next door is the Porcher House, which is lovely, too!

FI has a thing in his head about Cocoa. He wouldn't even go look with me :( But I loved those locations. Budget friendly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards