April 2013 Weddings

ACK! Do I even have enough time for an April wedding?

Hello there April brides from a hopefully fellow April bride.

I've been engaged for just over a month now and we've been looking and looking for a venue (okay, we've actually found 2 that we thought we could choose from, and then a change of budget has us looking again).  I have my dress narrowed down to two from the same store... we thought by now that we would have a location to try to match it to.

I know some things are tight, especially dresses, and 8 months could be cutting it close.  I'm hoping to not have to push the wedding back to July, and we really, really don't want to go any later than that (my FI is of the mindset that the sooner the better... I'm a bit more open but still...). 

But is an April wedding still doable?

Re: ACK! Do I even have enough time for an April wedding?

• Congrats on your engagement! 

I think its definitely doable to plan a wedding in 8 months. I had a cousin who planned their entire wedding in 5 weeks, so it can be done in 8 months. There are tons and tons of people who have 6 - 12 month engagements. 

Definitely the first thing you have to do is secure your venue, and I'm sure there are still some available for April. I'm pretty sure with dresses, they say it takes about 6 months to come in. Mine is going to take 5 months, and each store is different, so I think you can get one in time. After that I would look for a photographer to make sure you can get one that you like. 

Good luck with the planning :)
    135 invited image | 45 Yes image | 11 No image | 79 Still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: March 23
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaids Dresses
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Congratulations on your engagement!

You have plenty of time for an April wedding! I would think more venues and vendors would be available in April vs July because April is considered off season, and could possibly offer a discount!
  • It's definitely do-able but if you are planning on ordering your dress, i would do so as soon as you can. My bridal shop told me that some of the chinese dress factories shut down for a month in the winter for chinese new year and that could delay your order. So she always tells her spring brides to order as early as possible. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that, but I wasn't going to risk finding out. 

Happy Planning!

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Congrats and welcome to the board! It is def. do-able!!!! I agree with VK, that a lot of vendors would be more available for April 2013 rather then prime time wedding season. A lot of the people that I know getting engaged now are choosing May-Oct of 2013. I would work on booking your venue first, scheduled appointments to go looking at dressed, and focus on locating other vendors.

As PP stated as far as dresses go-- all my girls just got measured because of the chinese new year. I chose an alfred angelo bridesmaid dress for them, but they told me that Alfred angelo was already behind, and with the chinese new year it was best to get our order in before the end of the month. If we order them now, we should receive them Dec/Jan (i hope) We just looked at flower girls dresses this past weekend and the bridal shop stated that we can order those in December. My dress came in super fast! So the bridal salon is storing it for me. HTH!
    148 invitedimage | 105 Yes!image | 8 Noimage |33 still ? image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_ack-do-i-even-have-enough-time-for-an-april-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:2ddf3069-d7c9-4ed0-86d3-ead41aba939ePost:abff3d89-0469-49bc-b0f0-c275a602945a">Re: ACK! Do I even have enough time for an April wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats and welcome to the board! It is def. do-able!!!! I agree with VK, that a lot of vendors would be more available for April 2013 rather then prime time wedding season. A lot of the people that I know getting engaged now are choosing May-Oct of 2013. I would work on booking your venue first, scheduled appointments to go looking at dressed, and focus on locating other vendors. As PP stated as far as dresses go-- all my girls just got measured because of the chinese new year. I chose an alfred angelo bridesmaid dress for them, <strong>but they told me that Alfred angelo was already behind, and with the chinese new year it was best to get our order in before the end of the month</strong>. If we order them now, we should receive them Dec/Jan (i hope) We just looked at flower girls dresses this past weekend and the bridal shop stated that we can order those in December. My dress came in super fast! So the bridal salon is storing it for me. HTH!
    Posted by Christine9866[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh crap, I didn't even think of the bridesmaid dresses.  I told them they had until Nov/Early december to order based on 8 week recommendation they told me in the store and on the two that have already come in (two of my BMs got theirs already)- thinking that they will be in by feburary. Guess I'll try to have everyone order sooner.  Thanks for passing that info along. 

</div>

Follow Me on Pinterest

• I don't know which store you're getting your dress from but mine is from Alfred Angelo.  I ordered it right before July 4th and they gave me an anticipated shipping date of September 14th. Pretty quick turnaround if you ask me! 

You can totally do a wedding in April.  My only advice is to stay super organized and be open to the idea of not getting married on a Saturday.  Good luck!!

• edited July 2012
    I bought my dress from David's Bridal- I bought a brand new one off the rack so I have it at home. My bridesmaid dresses also came from there- theirs will be ready 6 weeks after they ordered it. So maybe look into the stores where you know they can order things faster!

As for everything else, you have plenty of time! I got everything planned in about 3 weeks, so it really doesn't take too long once you've decided who all the vendors are going to be! (And have backups ready in case some are already booked!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats! You can definitely do it in this amount of time! I'm just starting to really plan my wedding for April. I literally have nothing booked at this point, but FI and I are starting to figure stuff out soon, so we're sure it will start to fall into place once we start booking stuff. Good luck!
  • Girl, I'm with you.  I just started the planning two weeks ago.  There's so much to think about.  But, you could certainly get yours and your maid's dresses at David's Bridal to get it a bit quicker.  Also, try looking at places like Macy's for formal eveningwear instead of something labeled "bridesmaid dress" so you can buy it and walk out with it.   In addition, there are bridal outlets that often sell dresses off the rack - big designers and stuff too.  For my own dress, I'm starting now, and will probably wait the 5 months for it to come in.  But I've been in far too many weddings and don't want to stress my bridesmaids out so much, so I'm looking for an off-the-rack option for them.  JCrew and Ann Taylor have bridal sections too. 

good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• You totally have time for an April wedding. We have hardly anything booked yet, and I know we still have time. If I don't have everything booked by November I'll probably start to freak out though :) If you're having your girls get "bridesmaid" dresses, from a bridal shop, I would suggest having them order 6-9 weeks early if you're worried about them arriving on time and alterations. And deffinitly start looking for your dress soon if it's going to be ordered. If you get it from somewhere like David's, you might be able to wait longer and get something off the rack. Start getting organized as soon as possible.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    April 2013 September Siggy Challenge
    Red Horse Barn, Huntington Beach, CA
  • Hello!

Just wondering what others' thoughts are about holding a primarily outdoor wedding (thinking of a 5pm-ish ceremony, then reception right after under a tent) in the Richmond area in early April (looking at 4/6/13)? Don't want my guests (and myself!) to be too chilly, especially come reception time... Thanks for any advice/tips!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards