Catholic Weddings

Learning NFP

Hello,

I recently took my Pre Cana class and we learned the gist of NFP. FH and I are both very interested and would like to do NFP. I was wondering how you learned - did you take a class, read a book? I saw some references to Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I would like to know what you would recommend.

How has it been working out for you? Do you and your H like it?

Thank you so much!

Re: Learning NFP

• catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took a class that was offered by Couple-to-Couple league. Parishioners at my church were the instructors (they had to go thru training). I thought it was very helpful being able to sit down with someone and have them look at my chart to make sure I was doing it correctly.  I'd recommend taking a class, all though it was $175.  So it may not be in the budget.

I've only been married slightly over 2 months, but this is my 9th cycle charting.  So far, I really love it.  I didn't put it into practice until we got married, but I'm so glad I started before the wedding.  By the time we got married, I felt like I got the hang of it so then I could actually use it.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    we took an online course. (approved by our church)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I got the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility (a lot of girls on here recommend it. Fabuous resource). After reading through it myself, I found a teaching couple and took a course. FI came which was great because now he knows what's going on and is actually keeping the chart. I think it's good for the hubby to be involved.

I'm on my 3rd cycle after being on BCP. It's made a huge difference and I can't believe how much I've learned with NFP. We are trying to avoid (TTA) and it's great.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TCOYF.  I think it is straight forward and practical.

Fertilityfriend.com has an online tutorial, but I haven't looked at it.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i self taught wtih TCOYF.  ive been charting wtih success (TTA) for nearly 2 years now.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I recommend the Couple to Couple's League classes.  We found the class really great and I'm on my sixth cycle of charting and feel I've gotten a great hand on it in time for the wedding.  Find classes here:

I've also read the TCOYF book and between taking the class and reading the book, I recommend the class.  The book is good but the class is much more engaging.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    How is it going from BCP to NFP?? Do you have to wait cycles before you can, you know? 

Also even after you go off the pill does that affect your charting any? Would the abrupt stop in hormones being pumped into you affect anything?

I am definitely going to get the book and look into classes in my diocese. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    I took a Billings Method class through our archdiocese, but I wasn't getting it and found it didn't give me all the information I needed, so I bought the book TCOYF and it has gone leaps and bounds over what I learned with Billings.  Now I use a combo of both until I'm done with the book.  I bought a basal body temp thermometer and we'll start charting my temps with my new cycle (we just got home from a long trip to the Holy Land and I had gotten a sinus infection while there so was on antibiotics, etc., which delayed us starting our temp charts).  I really can't wait.  I never knew so much about my own body before! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_learning-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:37832b4b-e017-4105-8d43-7e649476941aPost:f4429627-5e0c-432e-924d-539d4d6a767c">Re: Learning NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]How is it going from BCP to NFP?? Do you have to wait cycles before you can, you know?  Also even after you go off the pill does that affect your charting any? Would the abrupt stop in hormones being pumped into you affect anything? I am definitely going to get the book and look into classes in my diocese. Thanks!
    Posted by waitingformay[/QUOTE]

I'm on my 3rd cycle off BCP (just started #3). I didn't ovulate according to my teaching couple the first 2 cycles. First one was erratic with temps and all over the place. CM (cervical mucous) was random and hard to follow. So it's good to wait a cycle or two until things start to make sense. We were told to assume we're always fertile for the first few cycles.

We chose to use condoms for the first few cycles to get the hang of it. (I know it's not Catholic of us, but it's a choice we decided to make.) Once we know the pattern, we'll stop using them.
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_learning-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:37832b4b-e017-4105-8d43-7e649476941aPost:f4429627-5e0c-432e-924d-539d4d6a767c">Re: Learning NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]How is it going from BCP to NFP?? Do you have to wait cycles before you can, you know?  Also even after you go off the pill does that affect your charting any? Would the abrupt stop in hormones being pumped into you affect anything? I am definitely going to get the book and look into classes in my diocese. Thanks!

The BCP can have any effect and its different for everyone. Some women have no problems. Some have varied such as spotting and heavy periods, some are permanently infertile. Its poison.

Most likely it will take several months to get out of your system so charting might be a bit difficult to see a cycle at first, but stick with it.
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_learning-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:37832b4b-e017-4105-8d43-7e649476941aPost:f4429627-5e0c-432e-924d-539d4d6a767c">Re: Learning NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]How is it going from BCP to NFP?? Do you have to wait cycles before you can, you know?  Also even after you go off the pill does that affect your charting any?<strong> Would the abrupt stop in hormones being pumped into you affect anything</strong>? I am definitely going to get the book and look into classes in my diocese. Thanks!

Remember that on the normal combination birth control pill, you are on placebo for 4-7 days, so that's also an abrupt stop in hormones. 

Stopping the BCP can unmask things (acne, menstrual cramps, increased menstrual flow, irregular periods), but there is generally no inherent health risk involved when you stop the BCP.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i waited a full 3-4 cycles after stopping BCP before we, you know.  i wanted to make sure i had a good handle on my charts, etc.   i will admit, i was nervous for maybe 6 months.  but then i got comfortable with everything and havent looked back.  my only regret is not starting NFP sooner.

i appear to be ovulating, and did so the first cycle off.  however, i have had other oddities in my cycles that have led me to wonder if i may have fertility issues.  now whether 10+ years on BCP did this or if its just me, ill never know. 
  • edited December 2011
    For the girls that went off BCP did you go on BCP due to issues.

Warning TMI:
     I went on BCP when I was somewhere between 16 and 18 because without BCP I would not menstruate and would have to take hormones anyways.

I would love to not have to take BCP, but am worried about the consequences of going off of it.
  • mica178mica178 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_learning-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:37832b4b-e017-4105-8d43-7e649476941aPost:2c979e1e-bf4b-4c97-9150-252df7f7fa28">Re: Learning NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the girls that went off BCP did you go on BCP due to issues. Warning TMI:  I went on BCP when I was somewhere between 16 and 18 because without BCP I would not menstruate and would have to take hormones anyways. I would love to not have to take BCP, but am worried about the consequences of going off of it.
    Posted by kgrunow[/QUOTE]

Have you spoken with your physician about this?  Was your amenorrhea worked up when you were a teenager?
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_learning-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:37832b4b-e017-4105-8d43-7e649476941aPost:2c979e1e-bf4b-4c97-9150-252df7f7fa28">Re: Learning NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]For the girls that went off BCP did you go on BCP due to issues. Warning TMI:  I went on BCP when I was somewhere between 16 and 18 because without BCP I would not menstruate and would have to take hormones anyways. I would love to not have to take BCP, but am worried about the consequences of going off of it.

There are many NFP-only docs who contend that BCP are not necessary for health issues...in fact, only create more and mask real issues. BCP does not cure anything, but covers up problems.

Someone who has health issues should chart creighton method and seek out an NFP-only doc who knows napro technology so you can actually diagnose the issue and treat it rather than cover up the symptoms.

<a href="http://www.omsoul.com" rel='nofollow'>www.omsoul.com</a> can give you a list of docs.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_learning-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:37832b4b-e017-4105-8d43-7e649476941aPost:f4429627-5e0c-432e-924d-539d4d6a767c">Re: Learning NFP</a>:

The doc put me on BCP when I was 18 for irregular cycles and terrible cramps.  I was on it for a few years, then off for a few years, then back on when I was 24 got new doctor who said I had irregular cycles...  I went back off to start charting after we got engaged.

My temps were super crazy the first month.  They did not make sense.  I would say after the 3rd cycle the temps and CM were normal.  Our teachers recommended not having sex until after the 3rd cycle; it was one of the biggest reasons why they had us start on NFP before we were married.

After starting this process, I don't think my cycles were ever really irregular before BCP.  Since I was not charting, I didn't realize that my cycles are naturally  about 28-33 days long and I ovulate around day 17-19.  As for the cramps, I find taking a multi-vitamin every day helps significantly (check with a doctor first, of course).
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I have read TCOYF and am currently taking a Creighton class.

I think TCOYF is the best, most thorough explanation I have seen of women's health and reproduction. I would recommend that everyone read it at their own pace to fully understand how and why NFP works on a scientific level.

Then, I would register for a class (or do these two simultaneously). I have heard great things about CCL classes and the ST classes offered by my diocese (I'm sure others have great teaching couples as well), which is similar to what the book teaches.  We opted for Creighton because of its connection to the medical field -- both for personal reasons and to identify and treat any potential problems.

A class is great because it gives you built in support. There is a person to ask questions of, get feedback from, and to encourage you. It really does make all the difference.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate all the advice. I ordered the book and am excited to start reading. I am planning to take a class in my diocese as well.

I went on the pill to manage cramp pain so I'm a little worried about not using it anymore. It's a good suggestion to go to an NFP doctor. I just started taking a multivitamin because I'm very active and thought it would be a good idea so hopefully that helps.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It's very encouraging.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_learning-nfp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:37832b4b-e017-4105-8d43-7e649476941aPost:2c979e1e-bf4b-4c97-9150-252df7f7fa28">Re: Learning NFP</a>:

I went on when I was 16 for acne. Low and behold it's back with a vengence at 26. I feel like a teenager and self concious again. :( But I'll take the acne over the problems I was having.

On a good note, I sent my 2nd cycle chart to my teaching couple and they do agree that I ovulated. Not sure if that's any help to you, but it's nice to know that after 10 years, things do go back to normal.
  • newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    edited December 2011
    I'm taking the Creighton method which both my fiance and I really enjoy.  It's amazing to have insight into how our cycles and bodies work and track physical symptoms that might reflect where I'm at in my cycle.  The only challenge that we've experienced with Creighton is that it's a bit more challenging for us to share responsibility since we aren't technically practicing it yet (just charting), live an hour apart and I'm in possession of the chart. 

I've heard that Sympto-Thermal as taught by CCL has more opportunities for the couple to both be engaged in the process.  We didn't opt for that method because I'm not very good at consistently going to bed at a reasonable hour and waking up early for taking BBT and have no doubt that my temps would be all over the place and only confuse me!

If any of you are suffering from ammenorhea... for sure consider options besides ABC!!!  I dealt with this in high school and was immediately prescribed the pill without the physician trying to diagnose what the underlying issue was.  Consider seeing a physician with an NFP background who can run tests to determine if there are any hormonal imbalances or nutritional deficiencies that could be causing it.  When I switched doctors, I was diagnosed with PCOS (and thyroid cancer... unrelated, but I'm very thankful they caught it) and prescribed a low dose of Metformin/Glucophage which has helped regularize and shorten my cycles immensely.  Now that I'm taking NFP classes with my fiance... it's very easy to tell how it's affecting my cycle as I'm not always the most diligent at taking it regularly! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards