Christian Weddings

Favorite Christmas Decorations?

I am slowly starting to put up my Christmas decorations. Does anyone have any favorite decorations? Or decorations that have been passed down through the family?

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
Follow Me on Pinterest
Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011

Re: Favorite Christmas Decorations?

• Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a small ceramic Christmas tree that my grandad's sister made.  She made several of them and my dad has one.  It's so simple, but I love it! I'm thinking about asking my parents if I can have it one day. 
  • fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Every year, my grandmother gets us all an ornament.  My freshman year of high school, 2001, she started a Fontanini Nativity Set for me and gets a new piece each year.  I love it.  It's beautiful and I love that I can keep adding to it.
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My mom made or bought each of us kids an ornament every year from our first birthday to our 18th. She also collects nativity scenes--some soapstone ones from Mexico, a wooden one from Nigeria, etc. I love seeing them all around the house! We also do a gingerbread village every year. 
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My little tree that has mini ornaments from every year since I was born.  It's fun to decorate since my mom was adamant that the ornament we picked each year must have a date on it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • yodacubyodacub member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    FI's dad has given his mom an ornament every year that they've been together, and FI has decided to keep the tradition with me :)  Last year he got me an intricate glass-blown ornament, and he says he picked the one for this year already. 
  • edited December 2011
    I always put a manger scene under the Christmas tree.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_favorite-christmas-decorations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:5dd8e61b-f591-487b-9403-41eb42260b29Post:695b36a4-6de6-442d-8e5b-970b834e16ce">Re: Favorite Christmas Decorations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI's dad has given his mom an ornament every year that they've been together, and FI has decided to keep the tradition with me :)  Last year he got me an intricate glass-blown ornament, and he says he picked the one for this year already. 
    Posted by yodacub[/QUOTE]

I want to do something like this with DH. We don't have space for a tree right now, so I might put it on a stand, or hang it from a ribbon or something. But I think it would be really neat to have an ornament for each year of marriage.
  • ochemjennochemjenn member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Right now my favorite is the ornament that says "Our First Christmas".  Most decorations are hand-me-downs from my gradma though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought a wreath made of red feathers last year.  I love it.  H hates it.

On our tree we have these little string angels.  We call them "throw angels" because once the tree is decorated you stand across the room and chuck them at the tree - the little strings stick to the pine needles and get stuck, and you have to leave them where they land.  We had them at my parents' growing up and when I moved out my mom gave me a few.  That's a fun tradition.
  • naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    azdancer - I saw these awesome "trees" at IKEA that would work for putting ornaments on display:

They show them here hanging as well but I would probably set it on a corner table.  I think they have spots for up to 48 ornaments?  They're called "Yrsno", $12.99.
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband's family has never decorated for Christmas, so we'll probably never have a tree. I'm mostly okay with this, but I wish I could hang stockings on the wall or something!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • kipnuskipnus member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_favorite-christmas-decorations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:5dd8e61b-f591-487b-9403-41eb42260b29Post:79c60ab6-18c8-4908-816b-e5befa334cb3">Re: Favorite Christmas Decorations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]azdancer - I saw these awesome "trees" at IKEA that would work for putting ornaments on display: They show them here hanging as well but I would probably set it on a corner table.  I think they have spots for up to 48 ornaments?  They're called "Yrsno", $12.99.
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

<div>We have those at work! I think they look so cool!</div>
  • kipnuskipnus member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_favorite-christmas-decorations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:5dd8e61b-f591-487b-9403-41eb42260b29Post:7a64d328-a4cd-4e53-819d-674bb3b28f7a">Re: Favorite Christmas Decorations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>My husband's family has never decorated for Christmas</strong>, so we'll probably never have a tree. I'm mostly okay with this, but I wish I could hang stockings on the wall or something!
    Posted by mrandmrsbrist[/QUOTE]

<div>Is there a reason for that? </div>
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I love ornaments.  We get one every year in our stockings and Since FI and I have been together we buy one every years the day after Christmas (I know we are cheap but really our Christmas doesn't happen until the 7th of January so we are still in the Christmas season.)  I also love the tree.  My mom creates the most beautiful trees and I just love sitting under it and gazing upon it.  :)

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I just bought the CUTEST nativity set that I fell in love with, and wasn't going to spend money on, so as I was looking at other things in our local Christian book store he bought it for me :)

Its definitely something I look forward to making a tradition, setting up as a family, when we have a family down the road :)
  • edited December 2011
    My mom got my brothers and I an ornament every year from birth until NOW.  The tradition continues, haha.  So I have all of those.  Then DH and I plan to continue the tradition of my parents and buy an ornament for us every year, and we already have two for this year. Other than that, DH and I have a new tree, new lights, new ornaments, etc. that we bought last year at all the after-Christmas clearnace sales.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    FI is a straight up grinch, so nothing at his house this year and I'm not at my house enough to enjoy decorations. 

I did, however, let my freak flag fly decorating my youth room for Christmas. Half the church came in and admired, which of course went straight to my head! 

FI and I are going to start a tradition of cutting a slice of the tree stump off every year and writing memories of that Christmas season. (Thanks Pintrest!). We also get an ornament when we go anywhere. 

Brist, I would cry for days if Christmas trees weren't in my future! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a collection of nativity sets so they are up.  I started to decorate our 3 ft. artificial tree last weekend and need to finish tomorrow.  I always decorate the banister to the 2nd floor with green garland, lights and bows.  But we spend all of our time in the basement so I don't really get to enjoy it.  Frown
  • BMcLeodTeamBMcLeodTeam member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have an annual dinner with a couple of my friends and I, where we get all our families together. We do turkey dinner (take turns hosting it) and buy gifts only for the kids. That was today, and this year we hosted, so I managed to get my tree up today before they got here lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards