Military Brides

Advice Needed

I got engaged June of 2011 with my fiancée at the time getting out of the Army. At the last minute he decided to re-enlist and deploy again so we just signed the legal paperwork to be married. Well he just returned in December and we want to have an actual wedding. Church and all. I'm just not sure how to incorporate the fact that we have been married for now over a year, and we picked our 2nd anniversary to have our wedding on. We want things to be much more of a celebration, especially since he will be deploying again 4 months later. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'd love to hear them!

Re: Advice Needed

• I would do this as a vow renewal if I were you. Although our situations were very dissimilar I did basically the same thing. We had our vow renewal on our 1 year anniversary. We did not have pre wedding parties as those are typically meant for unmarried people. We did not expect gifts and you probably shouldn't. We pieced together parts of a wedding that our family wanted or would appreciate as guests since this was their request anyway. We had attendants, my father walked me down the aisle, we had a preacher, cake, white dress. Really, it's your party and you know your families to know what they would expect. I think the biggest thing though is just to make sure everyone knows exactly what is going on: you have been married for 2 years and want to celebrate the joining of your families. You could even just have a big party/reception if you want. I probably would have had just a big barbeque to get everyone together if my family hadn't been so pushy about a VR. Like I said I did something very similar so if you have additional questions regarding how to word invites or what not feel free to PM me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • manjermjmanjermj member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_advice-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ea6e63ec-1221-4ff0-8fcc-21530b19b625Post:69d40fa6-19d6-419a-9850-674dabfaf55a">Re:Advice Needed</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do this as a vow renewal if I were you. Although our situations were very dissimilar I did basically the same thing. We had our vow renewal on our 1 year anniversary. <strong>We did not have pre wedding parties as those are typically meant for unmarried people. We did not expect gifts and you probably shouldn't.</strong> We pieced together parts of a wedding that our family wanted or would appreciate as guests since this was their request anyway. We had attendants, my father walked me down the aisle, we had a preacher, cake, white dress. Really, it's your party and you know your families to know what they would expect. I think the biggest thing though is just to make sure everyone knows exactly what is going on: you have been married for 2 years and want to celebrate the joining of your families. You could even just have a big party/reception if you want. I probably would have had just a big barbeque to get everyone together if my family hadn't been so pushy about a VR. Like I said I did something very similar so if you have additional questions regarding how to word invites or what not feel free to PM me.
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree with this. As long as you are up front and honest with everyone that you are in fact, already married, then you can have a vow renewal (not a "wedding"). And like Sammy said, do not expect gifts and honestly I'd say to not register for gifts/have the traditional pre-wedding parties at all because if I were invited, I'd see it as you're just looking for gifts. Keep it just as a celebration of your marriage and not make it as a traditional wedding, because it's not.

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards