Outdoor Weddings

Wedding Venue choice help needed!

Ok, so we've narrowed it down to 2 options.

1- Ranch outside Steamboat Springs, CO, which is about 2 1/2-3 hours from where we live.  Both of our families are from out of town, so they would either have to fly into the Steamboat airport (which MAY get expensive) or fly in to Denver and drive the 3 hours to Steamboat.  I LOVE the venue here, and the town of Steamboat offers a lot of things for people to do, so it would be more of a destination-like wedding. We would go with Labor Day weekend so people don't have to take off a ton of time from work. If people drive from Denver to Steamboat, is that too far to ask of them?  We thought it could be like a little vacation for most. This would be tented with no indoor backup option.

2- Ranch in Bailey, CO, about 45-1 hour from where we live.  People would still come from out of town, but they would likely stay somewhere in Denver.  We would provide transportation to and from Denver to Bailey.  Less of a destination feel, and I don't love the venue AS much (even though it's still gorgeous).  We would likely tent the reception, but there is a barn that could hold 150 people (but no more than that if the guest count goes over 150).

Thoughts on either? Prices are about the same. I'm leaning towards Steamboat for the vacation feel, but my fiancee worries it might be either too far or a bit too expensive for a lot of out-of-town guests.  HELP!! I can't decide!

Re: Wedding Venue choice help needed!

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2012
    The problem with having a wedding over holiday weekends is that a lot of people make plans with their families for those. My family is scattered all over, so for people like me, it doesn't matter, but others are big on that sort of thing. So you may run into people who decline because of that. Just something to keep in mind. 

If I did go, I am not sure I would want to fly and also then make an additional 3-hour road trip. My father lives 4 hours from an airport, and every time I visit him, I am wiped out just from the day of travel. And keep in mind that has to be done twice, and depending what time the flights are, it sometimes means getting up very early or arriving very late.  If flying into Steamboat is expensive, that may sway people as well. They may not want to pay that extra cost OR have the additional road trip going the Denver route. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In that part of Colorado, I would be very uncomfortable not having a bad weather option. I'd go with number 2.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards