Latino Weddings

Accessories with Mantilla

I'm a few weeks away from my wedding and I have yet to decide what accesories go best with a mantilla veil.  My initial idea was to wear some dangling earrings and white flowers tucked in the back part of a half updo.  I also have a beautiful strand of pearls that my FI gave my as a gift and I'm considering adding them to the ensemble but is this too much?  I''m also not sure how well pearls pair with dangling earrings, which I love wearing and have visualized wearing since I started planning the wedding.  My dress is strapless and I will probably keep the veil on for all the festivities. 

Re: Accessories with Mantilla

• Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty superstitious so I'm staying as far away from pearls as humanly possible! I'll be wearing a mantilla veil, I plan to do a bun type style off to the side with a large red rose in my hair. My earrings and necklace are simple and small, because I think with all that will already be on my head huge earrings or a necklace would make me look too costumed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    What do pearls have to do with superstition?
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm butting in, but in Filipino culture, it's bad luck to wear pearls as they represent sadness due to their resemblance to tear drops.  I've come to realize that there are so many Filipino superstitions related to weddings it's crazy!  I've already broken one, apparently it's a superstition to try on your dress before your wedding (even to get it fitted).  You are supposed to get measured once and pick up your dress on the day of your wedding and it's supposed to fit!  Yeah, right!!!  That definitely doesn't work here!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_accessories-mantilla?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:680Discussion:22b3a67b-2686-411c-aff5-695ca114d565Post:36e567de-7cac-497c-82d3-e0c1fb68b1b0">Re: Accessories with Mantilla</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm butting in, but in Filipino culture, it's bad luck to wear pearls as they represent sadness due to their resemblance to tear drops.  I've come to realize that there are so many Filipino superstitions related to weddings it's crazy!  I've already broken one, apparently it's a superstition to try on your dress before your wedding (even to get it fitted).  You are supposed to get measured once and pick up your dress on the day of your wedding and it's supposed to fit!  Yeah, right!!!  That definitely doesn't work here!
    Posted by Kaye Smith[/QUOTE]

Wow!  I can't even imagine that.  I was curious about the pearls too.  I hadn't heard that one.
  • edited December 2011
    Very interesting!  Thanks for the explanation!  :-)
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "A superstition from Mexico has it that the bride can not wear pearls in her wedding day for the pearls are the tears she will cry in her marriage."

I wore pearls for my last wedding, and boy were there some tears in that marriage!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

Ok, heard that one before but as we all well know supertisions abound without much substance.  Ken&Cass truly sorry your first didn't workout, personally I know more than a few people who wore pearls to their wedding and their marriage has stood the test of time. My folks for example going on 30+ years.  So, I'm still left wondering if flowers in the hair, dangling earring and necklace is too much to wear with a mantilla. 

• edited December 2011
    I will be wearing earings and a necklace with my mantilla, neither is too flashy.  I will have a flower in my hair...but I will be putting it in when my mantilla comes out. So, I don't know how it would look to have the flower with the mantilla.  My advice to you would be try it out with different combinations and take pictures and see what you like best!
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am new on this particular board. I am a Sephardic Jew and Spanish is my native tongue; but we are Jewish, so we won't be using any rosaries! I have a lovely mantilla veil; but I am not wearing it with the high comb because FI said that was too much. However, my veil is chapel length and 1 tier. I need to have a blusher added so I can be veiled (a Jewish tradition) and besides, I want to have the veil over my face for a few minutes anyways. I plan on wearing a necklace, drop earrings, a bracelet, my rings and a tiara. I am not doing the red roses because it looks cliche to me (the tiara may be over the top too but I decided to be la reina)! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards