Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Question-Mixing Business with Pleasure

I am very close to several of my cousins so they have roles in my wedding in so shape or form.  One of my cousin's is a hairdresser and naturally will be doing my hair.  I already have a gift on mind but wonder if whether I should still pay her for the services provided. 

On one hand she's like a big sister to me and you don't really pay your sister to do things for you.  I mean I won't take money for babysitting my younger sister's daughter!

On the other hand-by profession she is a hairdresser and that is her income.

Knowing my cousin-as this is her business practice-she gives steep discounts for family so if I do pay her I know she will give a really cheap price.  But even then I still give pretty big "tips" so that I pretty much wind up payin the listed price and then some.

So my question is Should I still pay her big or just give her a gift and call it good?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Question-Mixing Business with Pleasure

• Options
    We have a friend doing our photography for free.  He is going to give me the CD's of the photos after it's all done.  However... we're still paying him (and his wife).  

If you have it in your budget, give her an "honorarium."  That's like a check for people who aren't charging, like your family friend.  

Our officiant isn't charging us either... but we're still going to pay him for his time (doing pre-marital counseling) and giving him an honorarium for the day-of. 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    It depends on how it was decided, but even so, it never hurts to offer. If she offered it as a gift, then you can probably just give her a really nice thank you gift. If, however you brought it up, then you shoudl also bring up the fee.

Oh, and by the way, one of the girls in my salon was complaing about the time she offered to do her SIL's wedding hair and then the bride insisted on the day of she also do the hair of all the BMs as well. It doesn't sound like you'd do that, but just in case.
  • Options
    I think if she doesn't offer her services as a gift, you should expect to pay her.  If she does offer her services as a gift, I would still give her a tip.  The gift you give her for being in your wedding has nothing to do with the services she is providing to you.  Your gift is saying thank you for being part of my wedding - not "and also for doing my hair."  IMO
  • Options
    I agree with sister2groom; it really depends on if she offered it as a gift or if she's your regular hairdresser and you said 'hey can you do my wedding hair?"  I think this is something you can just outright ask her.  "Oh hey, I feel so silly I didn't ask you before, but how much is it going to be for my hair for the wedding?"  If she says "oh don't worry about it, it's a gift!" then a thank you gift is just fine.  Otherwise she'll tell you her rate. 

As for what serlace said about the gift being a "thanks for being in my wedding... oh year, and for doing my hair" - reading your original post I interpreted that doing your hair WAS her role; if she's also a BM I think there definitely should be two gifts...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards