Illinois-Chicago
Options

Receptions at Cantigny? Feedback wanted

Just wondering if anyone has recently had their reception at Cantigny. I recently read a pretty scathing review here. I'm going to do a walk through tonight with someone named Meghan. I mentioned to her the scathing review and the banquet manager turnover and she said that's all been resolved. Cantigny is pretty pricey and to me it seems like you're really paying for the beautiful views/grounds. I don't really want an outside wedding - weather's just too unpredictable IMO - so not sure I want to pay for such a pricey venue, even if it is very beautiful. I'm thinking that once people are inside, they're not going to be standing there looking outside anyway.

What say you?
Daring to dream a bigger dream

Re: Receptions at Cantigny? Feedback wanted

• Options
    No feedback needed - wow - the scathing review about the banquet managers was right. We showed up at 5:45 for a 6 p.m. walk through. Another employee told us that the BM was doing another event and was somewhere else. She called the BM and told her we were there and the BM told her she was working on this other event and would be over shortly. The other employee walked us over to show us the reception room. We stood there talking to her and waiting and waiting and waiting. Finally at 6:20, we're like, well, is she coming? She called the BM again, the phone went to voice mail. She said she didn't know what to tell us and was apologetic. 

So we got in our car and were starting to drive away - now 6:25 - we see a car pulling into the parking lot from the other direction, so we turn around, figuring it's the BM. We pull up two spots away from the BM, we are the only other car in the lot since it's now past closing time. From her car she can see our big white SUV right there and she gets out of her car and starts to walk to the building - doesn't stop over to see if it's us, etc. We roll down the window and say, Megan! She comes over and I said I'm Leslie, we had a 6 p.m. apptmt? She says, oh yeah (like she just remembered, even though the other employee called her to tell her we were there). We said, well, it's 6:25 and she says, oh my phone says 6:10 (right - her phone is 15 minutes off -she just didn't know what to say because we were confronting her). She then says half-heartedly, well do you guys want to come int - but her whole attitude, tone of voice, etc., was that she didn't care that we were there, lackadaisical, unapologetic.  So I said, no, we'll have to reschedule. And shrugged her shoulders and said OK.  Again, no apology.

We drove off and were just thinking - whew - dodged a bullet there. Imagine if we had spent the $ on this place and had to deal with her and her attitude. She was clearly VERY young and inexperienced - or just didn't care about booking us.  I do NOT recommend Cantigny due to this experience. Oh, and btw, the room where the receptions are held was mediocre at best.
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
  • Options
    I assume you are referring to my scathing review. You do pay for the beautiful grounds but at the price you pay, I would expect some better service.

Our wedding was beautiful and everything worked out (for the most part). But they created so much stress for us that I would never recommend them for a wedding. And I can't imagine what would have happened if my H hadn't been not working at that point and able to call them all the damn time.

Anniversary image
  • Options
    Yikes. That's terrible! I hope you find the perfect place soon!

This has me nervous... our reception will be at Cantigny on 10/27. We thought about it a lot, since we'd heard how difficult they can be to work with, but loved the site so much we decided to take that risk. We're learning to work with the banquet manager in the Red Oak Room, and understand (now) she just WON'T be as quick to respond as we'd like... We've also made sure all of our other vendors have amazing reviews and have worked at Cantigny before to help minimize challenges. Hopefully.
  • Options
    If you want a beautiful venue, with top notch service, and gorgeous grounds, check out Mayslake Peabody Estate in Oak Brook. Alex is the coordinator and he was AWESOME!!! I viewed the location and decided to book it on the spot because I loved it. Then I came back multiple times with vendors and he always accomodated me. He was always there and answered each and every email I ever sent him during my planning within 24 hours, usually the same day. I had a 2 year engagement/
    We loved our venue. They have multiple rooms you can get married in and have reception in. An outdoor patio comes with one of the rooms. Worth checking to see if they have your date! They only have one event there per date, so yours would be the only wedding on your date. www.mayslakepeabody.com We were married outdoors at the Chapel, and had our reception in the Event Hall.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards