Nevada-Las Vegas

Since we have a lot of newbies & lurkers....

2»

Re: Since we have a lot of newbies & lurkers....

• joyfultodayjoyfultoday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    <div>i appreciate you sharing.  :)</div><div>
    </div><div>and sorry about your extended family old friends.  they have no idea what they're missing out on...</div><div>
    </div><div>we chose vegas because DH suggested it.  we wanted small and non tradtitional so it made sense to us.</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_lot-of-newbies-lurkers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:dded19a9-f87f-45f2-99f1-f842a86563ebPost:4374a68a-cffd-4db1-9274-59f6c9e2aa29">Re: Since we have a lot of newbies & lurkers....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel a little ridiculous being so.. open with a forum of complete strangers, but I'm always curious about others' motives for choosing Vegas, so why not. Basically, I have a very large, very conservative, very traditional family who believe in equally large, conservative, and traditional weddings.  Upon "coming out", I was ostracized by my extended family, as well as most of my oldest friends.  I knew that if I had a wedding, I would feel obligated to invite all of these people on the basis of having previously been a very large part of my life.  I had originally decided not to having a wedding at all.  Once I got closer to my fiancee's family, and my parents became closer to her, we decided we needed to do something beyond a visit to the courthouse.  I love Las Vegas.  I took her on her first trip to Vegas for our first vacation together and she fell in love with it too.  Our families have never been to Vegas, so it seemed like it would be the most exciting, most memorable location for everyone. We'll be going to Vegas with our parents, her small extended family, and a few of her closest friends.  I've made it impossible to feel rejected by those who have ostracized me by not inviting them to my wedding in the first place.  I'm really looking forward to celebrating with people who genuinely recognize our relationship.
    Posted by bigbeautifulfemme[/QUOTE]
  • edited December 2011
    We wanted to avoid family drama, keep  the budget limited and have a super awesome honeymoon. We weren't planning to have one because of the cost of our "hometown" wedding. We've gotten plenty of snarky comments but we are not letting that get us down. It has helped us weed out the people who are really happy for us finally getting this over with and the people who just wanted a reason to party. I think it's the best decision we have made....ever.

Edited because I can't spell.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love reading all of the responses, thanks for sharing everyone! And to bigbeautifulfemme, thank you for sharing your story. Sorry about the reactions from your extended family and old friends, but it sounds like you're going to have an amazing wedding with your friends & family that love & support you both.
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_lot-of-newbies-lurkers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:dded19a9-f87f-45f2-99f1-f842a86563ebPost:2c15c1b5-ffef-4624-804c-7e5c9c2e1b23">Re: Since we have a lot of newbies & lurkers....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Love reading all of the responses, thanks for sharing everyone! And to bigbeautifulfemme, thank you for sharing your story. Sorry about the reactions from your extended family and old friends, but it sounds like you're going to have an amazing wedding with your friends & family that love & support you both.
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

Ditto this

I was the little girl that when asked about her wedding (or playing wedding) was always getting married in Vegas by Elvis. Luckily I found a man that would agree to that. Since our families and friends are spread out across Australia and the world it made the decision easier to have a DW (though we have recieved a lot of flack for the choice of destination but I know I definately would have been disappoint having a wedding at home and Dan definately didn't want a traditional wedding).
  • edited December 2011
    I orginally wanted to get married here in Los Angeles, Ca but our budget is 3-4k and I couldn't find ANYTHING.to get married at for 100 people on that budget even to resere a park was nearly $1,000 on its own. My dad kept saying have it in vegas his family was known for getting married in vegas but I saw it as chapel, drive thru wedding, eww. But as I did research I became completely excited about it. My father's family lives all over the country and my mom's bigger side all resides in GA and my FI family lives in Ca all together so I said well if my family has to travel from everywhere so does his, I know a bit selfish but whatever. Plus with our budget being so small cutting the list made it so easy, people were dropping out themselves before invitations being sent out (still isn't) people wanted to go bc it was local we have a few people asking for invtes bc of it being "Vegas." I'm so glad we found our venue "Texas Station" and using all types of ways to cut back.  
    *Singing* I can see clearly now the rain is gone, its going to be a bright.... BRIGHT.... bright sun shinny day!
  • PhoneCardLadyPhoneCardLady member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    Dan and I were on a shuttle bus to a Polish festive when I made the comment (jokingly) that perhaps we should have one for our wedding.  A lady across the aisle said that we might consider going to Vegas to get married.

Actually, neither of us has even thought of that, and while in some ways I'd love to have a "traditional wedding" (my first, his second) I was warming up to the idea very fast.  I have started to check out some things (chapels, venues, etc.) so we can get an idea of how much we need to save.
  • edited December 2011

i've been married before and the idea of having the formal church wedding thing again wasn't appealing.  not to mention that FI is catholic so we couldn't really get married in a church anyway. 

FI wanted to have a big party - and we wanted to hit Bora Bora for our honeymoon - so even though we're on the East coast, we decided it made sense to look at Vegas.  plus - how much fun is it going to be, seriously?!?!!!!

• edited December 2011
    We've been to Vegas a few times and have always had a good time. We've always envisioned having a kick-ass party, and what better place than Vegas? Our friends and family are dispersed throughout the country. And we felt like we could get more bang for our buck in Vegas (although, we're spending more than I ever expected to on our wedding). For all of those reasons, that's why we chose Vegas!
  • edited December 2011
    We met and got engaged in Las Vegas so it seemed the easy choice to get married there as well.  And if we were doing Vegas right, there needed to be an Elvis!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I love Vegas while my intended have never been. He didn't want a traditional ceremony, (as non religious as they come) I wanted to have a fun few days type of party but doing that scale here in FL would just blow the top off our bank accounts ( I have a large family). So what better expierence than Vegas. Most have always wanted to go and wouldn't go otherwise.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I were high school & beyond sweethearts of 7years. We split I got married and it didn't work out so I got divorced, FI dated but wasn't happy. we ran into each other and  hooked back up. When we got engaged his LARGE family started spouting wedding talk which drove both of us crazy, I did not want another big wedding and he didn't either! I sarcasticly said we should go to Vegas, and the more we both thought about it the more we thought it was a wonderful idea (we had already planned a vacation for Vegas since neither of us had ever been but really wanted to go) We started checking into a Vegas wedding and decided to go with it, knowing that only the most important people in our lives would attend! His family freaked so we finally agreed to a AHR!  Basically, we can get married cheaper and have a AWESOME honeymoon, don't have to deal with the WHOLE extended family situation, have a very memorable wedding and one hell of a good time!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards