Washington-Seattle
Options

Given A Free Wedding Dress? A Do Or A Don't? HELP!!!

So... A friend of mine gave me a brand new wedding gown that has never been used from David's Bridal and it is from this past fall's collection. The gown is beautiful (heavy as hell) and perfect for our winter wedding. I've never tried it on but it is my size. In July I had tried on a bunch of gowns and feel in love with a strapless chiffon A-line that was around $600. The gown I was given is the same price and really pretty but I don't know if I should wear it. It was free, it's really pretty, strapless (just more fitted in the waist and hips), and really sparkly. I love sparkly things!

Should I wear on our wedding day?

It needs to be altered because I plan on loosing 20 pounds by next December. I don't know what to do. Would David's Bridal even alter it, seeing as I didn't personally buy it from them?

Your words of wisdom are greatly appreciated friends.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: Given A Free Wedding Dress? A Do Or A Don't? HELP!!!

• Options
    mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted for the free gown, because I'm a cheapskate.... but you really should wear whatever you want.  imo, you should keep the free dress for now, but also look around for a little while longer in case you find something else that you love and is within your budget.

As far as altering, don't go to David's Bridal.  I have heard that it is way overpriced.  There are a lot of great seamstresses in western WA, and I'm sure you can find one who could do a better (and cheaper) job!
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
    My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
    Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you like it, wear it.  Weddings are expensive, save money wherever you can!  If you don't love it though, keep looking.

And, ditto pp, don't get it altered at Davids.  From what I've heard, they are expensive and not good.  There are several good and reasonable seamstresses...let us know if you need recommendations.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    rachipooh7rachipooh7 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    i would go with whatever one you are IN LOVE WITH... i mean its your wedding dress :) but free is amazing.. and if it fits and if you love the way it fits.. love the way you feel in it then you should wear it.....

imo whatever dress you put on and look at yourself and say: this is the one
    then go with that :)
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you love it, who cares if someone gave it to you - wear it!  If you love another dress, then wear the other dress.  Your call.

FYI, it's generally a good idea to look for a good local seamstress rather than automatically going to the store that sold you the dress for alterations - local independents are often cheaper, and better qualified.  So if you go with the free dress, don't worry about taking it to DB for alterations; just find someone who's experienced and have them do it.
  • Options
    kducharmekducharme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My vote is to wear the one you love more and the one you feel more comfortable in. don't just wear a dress because it's free...good luck..and pics please!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards