Texas-San Antonio
Options

distance between ceremony and Venue

I am still looking for a venue but to help my search I am trying to look for venues that are not all downtown since most of them seem to be already booked.

My question is about how far should the reception venue be from the Ceremony site? Also keep in mind that about 75 percent of our guests will be from out of town.
Pregnancy Ticker image image

Re: distance between ceremony and Venue

• Options
    ms1507ms1507 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let me try this again since my post was all messed up.
    I am still looking for a venue but to help my search I am trying to look for venues that are not all downtown since most of them seem to be booked.

My question is about how far should the reception venue be from the ceremony site? Also keep in mind that about 75 percent of our guests will be from out of town.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We have a similar number of out of town guests.  Our ceremony is out off of I-10 but the reception is downtown (and the hotel block).  I rented a trolley to take those that didn't want to rent cars out to the ceremony and back.

We live in Chicago and it's not uncommon for ceremonies and receptions to be about an hour apart (in terms of distance and ttraffic) but I will say, as a guest, it does kind of suck. 

You are looking for a downtown-ish venue, right?  Have you tried:

Hacienda Santa Maria
    La Orilla del Rio- International Center
    Museo Alameda
    La Villita
    Biga on the Banks
    Rita's on the River
    The Boudro's Event Spaces (Firewheel, The Wine Cellar, Charles Court, etc.)
    Landry's

The Witte Museum is only about 10 minutes max from downtown. 

Good luck in your search.  We are getting married at La Orilla del Rio and it's an amazing space, although it does book up early for Sat. night dates. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I forgot the Pearl Brewery too, they have gorgeous event space!
  • Options
    brideinsatbrideinsat member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you dont mind, how much is the trolley rental? We have 50/60 out of town guests so facing the same issue. We dont want them to have to worry about transportation. do you think a trolley would be ok on December 11, or too chilly?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The trolley has been the bain of my existence.  It's so much harder to find one in San Antonio as opposed to Chicago.  People here rent them all the time and they are relatively cheap.

I can't even tell you the name of the company because he hasn't emailed me the contract yet (supposed to come today) but their number is 210-492-4144 and my contact person is Edward.  By the way, I called them last week and he just got back to me yesterday.  I'm going with them because it's only $375 for 2 hours (all inclusive- fuel, driver, etc.) and everything else I priced was $475 and up and it took forever to get quotes from pretty much everyone I tried.  The VIA bus trollies are no longer available for charter.  And let me tell you, these companies do not seem to want your business very much!  It's been really irritating. 

From my experience here in Chicago, most trollies are equipped with plastic window covers and people rent them year round.  It's much easier to find a company with a mini-bus (kind of like a hotel shuttle van) if you weren't able to find a trolley that would work in cold weather. 

I haven't signed a contract yet so if anyone has a better trolley company, please feel free to let me know.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for sharing all this. I moved here from the east coast and can tell you everything moves very slowly.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha... so true.  We live in the heart of the city here and I always forget just how different things are back home in TX.  The slow pace is great except when you are trying to get vendors lined up for the wedding :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OP, I'm sorry!  I didn't realize I gave you about half of those suggestions the other day.  I also forgot Pedrotti Ranch, I can't remember 100% but they might also do BYOB. 

If you do end up finding a venue that isn't BYOB (like ours ended up being), our caterer, Picante Grill is extremely fair in their alcohol pricing.  I was pleasantly surprised and I don't know that we could have done BYOB for the price he gave us.  Even with purchasing at Costco, we probably would have way over bought (just in case) and ended up with tons of stuff left over.   
  • Options
    ms1507ms1507 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the great advise! I found a venue for our wedding its the Blue Start Contemporary Art's Center. I am finallizing everthing with them, I am still not sure if it allows BYOB since I have been given different information from my planner but I know for sure they allow kegs and margarita machines.

I really like the idea of the trolly service. I am actually looking at renting a party bus for of town guests  or even looking to get a hotel to provide shuttle service if we get enough people to rent their rooms.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MS1507-congrats on your venue! I'm still searching for mine for Dec 11 wedding-this year! Mind if I ask how much the Blue Star charges?
  • Options
    ms1507ms1507 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    According to their website they charge about $1000 per 100 people but I am meeting with their event's coordinator next week to finalize our contract and get the final price. My planner is the one who suggested this location and she wouldn't have suggested it if it wasn't with in our budget and our venue budget is $2000.

The event's coordinator for the place is Zinnia Salcedo call her at 210.227.6960 here is the website so you can check it out http://www.bluestarart.org/

Good luck with finding your venue
  • Options
    ms1507ms1507 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and check out 6th street studio it is awesome. We originally had planned to have our wedding reception there but they're only going to hold weddings/event there untill the end of this year. their website is

http://www.6thstreetstudio.com/index.html  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also having problems finding a venue close to Randolph Air Force Base in Universal City. Can you help?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards