California-Northern
Options

Marriage Licence???

HI all! 
  Does anyone know what the laws are in California for a marriage licence? What do we need to do? How far in advance do we need to do it? We moved to new york a month ago, but we are getting married in California... any help would be great. 

Re: Marriage Licence???

• Options
    Hi Sara,
      I think the requirements are different in every county. Here's the Sacramento County Clerk's office website that explains things for our county...
    http://www.ccr.saccounty.net/Pages/MarriageLicensesAndCeremonies.aspx

Where are you getting married? I'd suggest just googling "_______ County wedding license". That's how I got to the Sacramento County pages.

Good Luck
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-northern_marriage-licence?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:56Discussion:1d289b24-daf2-4099-a89c-e6510ebf2528Post:59b62d4e-399d-495e-abe5-2696f351b93a">Marriage Licence???</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI all!    Does anyone know what the laws are in California for a marriage licence? What do we need to do? How far in advance do we need to do it? We moved to new york a month ago, but we are getting married in California... any help would be great. 
    Posted by sarabirnbaum[/QUOTE]

It is different for each county (I just googled Sonoma County wedding liscence and the county clerks page came up) the fee is also different for each county. I just got off the phone with the Sonoma County office and they said it is $85 for them and $15 for each copy of the liscence (for changing your name) and you can get it the day of the wedding if you want. It has to be returned with signatures within 10 days of the wedding.

In California you both have to be present to pick it up. Most of the county clerk websites have online forms that you can fill out so when you go in they just verify the information, check your IDs, collect their money and send you on your way. They said it will take about 45min for the liscencing portion and if either of you have been married before then you need to know the month and year of your divorce and the method (death, divorce, disolutionment etc.) and if it has been within the last 90 days you need to bring proof.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards