Retro and Vintage Weddings

Old Florida Wedding

I am having a wedding and trying to create and "Old Florida" feel. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Re: Old Florida Wedding

• NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I don't know a thing about Florida, let alone old Florida.  What do you have in mind?  Do you have any inspiration photos?
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I too have no clue what "Old Florida" means. Have you asked this question on the Florida Board?
    *Katie & David* July 22nd 2011 Our Shindig and Blog Updated Weekly! Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree, asking on your FL board might be more helpful. The only thing I can think of would be a plantation wedding.
    Photobucket
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I was picturing kitchy 1950s beachy scenes with plastic flamingos :P  As I said, I'm completley clueless.
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • i found this online
    http://www.florida-secrets.com/Old_Florida/OldFlorida.htm

sounds like its just 1950s so like hamburger stands and drive in movies and such. maybe a rockabilly-type wedding would be a good showing of the "old florida" feel?

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • This stumped me, too!  (So, of course, I couldn't stop thinking about it.)  

I see that you're located in Florida - perhaps you could hold your wedding or reception at either a nice, vintage Florida hotel (someplace with ambience) or in a lush, tropical garden.

Paper lanterns would probably add charm, if you opt for outdoors.  They seem to add a vintage touch...even though I haven't seen any actual, vintage wedding photos that included them!

Lily Pulitzer's bright, pastel fabrics have been around since the 1960s and have always been associated with Florida, so maybe you'd want to choose her color scheme for your bridesmaids/flowers/tablecloths.  

If you can find books featuring photos of Palm Beach in its vintage heyday, you might get some ideas from them.

Potted palms used to be a popular, vintage decoration and certainly seem fitting for a Florida wedding!  You could also use potted palm trees.

Also, maybe there's a way to duplicate a vintage Florida postcard, and use that for your "Save the Date" card (if you send out any "Save the Dave" cards) or your RSVP response card (if you use anything like that).

I don't know if this would be suitable for the kind of wedding/reception/rehearsal dinner you have in mind, but you can buy cheery repro, vintage Florida travel posters and do something with them (at www.allposters.com, for example).  

And, lastly, I don't know how "vintage" this is, but tonight I saw a photo of "alligator bread" in a magazine (bread shaped to look like alligators...not made out of alligators!).  Maybe people in Florida think that would be cliche, but I thought it might look cute, set out on a food table (if there is a food table).  

Anyway, what direction were YOU thinking of taking this?  I'm curious!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards