Wedding Etiquette Forum

Sleeping on flights

I have a 7.5 hour flight to Europe in a month (Well, 4 hours to Chicago, then 7.5 more to Europe). I'll arrive at 8 a.m., so I really want to sleep on the way there to do my best to get adjusted. I realize that may be wishful thinking... is there a safe pill I can take to make me sleep? I've never done it before so I have no idea. Should I take something like Tylenol PM?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleeping on flights

• If it's a long flight, I usually take a decongestant that will make me drowsy because I always get stuff on a plane...and it helps de-stuff. I wouldn't take an actual sleeping pill myself.
    planning

• I've heard that seratonin (over the counter, vitamin supplement) is great for jetlag and you can take it in addition to something like benadryl, nyquil, or tylenol/advil pm to help you mellow out a bit more or take them together. I've never tried it myself, but it's not too expensive and you can pick it up at most pharmacies or at a vitamin shoppe, etc. have fun :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_sleeping-flights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c6995455-0d22-4987-adf8-80bdcbe7ab12Post:68596401-2412-4109-8cfa-43cc8aa3a3a6">Re: Sleeping on flights</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard that<strong> seratonin</strong> (over the counter, vitamin supplement) is great for jetlag and you can take it in addition to something like benadryl, nyquil, or tylenol/advil pm to help you mellow out a bit more or take them together. I've never tried it myself, but it's not too expensive and you can pick it up at most pharmacies or at a vitamin shoppe, etc. have fun :)
    Posted by chaseleyh[/QUOTE]

I think you mean melatonin.  I've taken it before to help me sleep without much luck, but I took the lowest dose because I heard mixed reviews about side effects.

I took Tylenol PM when I flew to Italy, but I could have just as easily taken Benadryl since I didn't need the painkiller part of it and the drug that makes you sleep is the same ingredient as Benadryl.  Some of my friends swear by Dramamine as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_sleeping-flights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c6995455-0d22-4987-adf8-80bdcbe7ab12Post:5b086cc1-9a92-4cb1-9f02-d44df84c6d8a">Re: Sleeping on flights</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vodka. Lots of it.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

Ha or this works too!
  • take a tylenol pm and a drink on the plane like wine.... you'll be out before you know it!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_sleeping-flights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c6995455-0d22-4987-adf8-80bdcbe7ab12Post:5b086cc1-9a92-4cb1-9f02-d44df84c6d8a">Re: Sleeping on flights</a>:
    [QUOTE]Vodka. Lots of it.
    Posted by Champagne Supernova[/QUOTE]

That is DH's game plan also. 

I had some ambien for our flights to South Africa.  I didn't end up needing them though.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I take a Benadryl right after the dinner service (DC to France, 7 hours).  Wake up about an hour before I land in Paris at 7 AM.  I take an hour nap later that day and then I'm completely re-set.

Are you flying an International Carrier or a US based one?
  • Thanks all! aMrs - I'm taking AerLingus into Dublin.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_sleeping-flights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c6995455-0d22-4987-adf8-80bdcbe7ab12Post:9c07a5ec-26e1-414c-b055-3be97518b242">Re: Sleeping on flights</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks all! aMrs - I'm taking AerLingus into Dublin.
    Posted by apple_green[/QUOTE]

Excellent, then your booze <em>should</em> be free!
  • apple_greenapple_green member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_sleeping-flights?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c6995455-0d22-4987-adf8-80bdcbe7ab12Post:3525ef16-112e-497d-b927-317a1b6fae51">Re: Sleeping on flights</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sleeping on flights : Excellent, then your booze should be free!
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

Wow! Now that you mention it I think I've heard that! I'm going to ask my sister. She's flown on AerLingus before.
  • Tylenol PM has worked for me in the past.. but I get motion sick, so on long flights or drives, I take a couple dramamine (the drowsy kind) and knock right out. 2 birds, 1 stone.
  • I usually take some nyquil, since Tylenol PM knocks me out for about 9 hours. 

Also, bring some water on the plane because when I sleep in that cabin, I get really dried out from the recycled air.

I really like those neck pillows you can buy at the airport, too.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Oh yes, the U-shaped neck pillow is a must!
  • I have one of the Nap brand neck pillows from Brookstone and I swear it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.
  • I'm hardly ever able to sleep on flights like that.  I don't take anything because it lasts too long.  Drinking helps you snooze, but there's nothing worse than a hangover AND jetlag, so be careful.
  • One tylenol PM and a Benadryl knocks me the hell out for at least 4 hours.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

• I take dramamine and Tylenol PM. I have a really hard time sleeping on a plane, but that gets me as relaxed as possible.
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • I take a half an Ambien, but I can do that and sleep 4-5 hours and get up feeling completely alert.

Now the time I took an Ambien and had 3 glasses of wine with my seatmate on a redeye flight to NY was probably not a good idea.  I barely remember the cab ride to my hotel.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards