Wedding Reception Forum

Buying your own chair covers???

Since planning my wedding, I realized that I am over budget by thousands of dollars.  I was thinking about buying chair covers myself instead of renting them since it is only about 40$ more expensive to buy them and then re-selling them on ebay or amazon or something of the sort.  Do you think this is a good idea?  I have also considered doing the same with table clothes, etc.  My only conern is that I won't be able to resell them.  What do you guys think?

Re: Buying your own chair covers???

• Do you really NEED chair covers?  I think it's one of those things that just isn't all that necessary~once everyone is sitting in the chairs, who really sees them anyway?  And for me, I think they never seem to stay on straight, and look sort of disheveled once people have sat down in them.

I'm trying to remember the last several weddings I attended, including my own kids, and I don't really remember if they even had chair covers....
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I rented my covers and linens because the difference in cost wasn't that significant and included set-up & tear down. I also didn't want to worry about doing something with them after wedding was over. 
    "If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited February 2010
    In my opinion only ugly metal or plastic chairs actually need chair covers.

Are you renting the actual chairs?  Wouldn't it be cheaper to just upgrade to nice garden chairs or chiavari chairs?  My wedding had garden chairs and they looked lovely on their own.  We rented the linens for the tables through our caterer and they were very affordable.  Personally I'd much rather rent than go through the hassle of buying and then reselling (knowing me, I'd never actually get around to listing the linens on eBay).
    weddingcollage
  •    I haven't yet, but I think that we are buying our chair covers also because the difference in price isn't that much. I would rather buy than rent so that I can get back even a little of that money. It just makes sense to me. 
  • I was going to buy them and try to re-sell them like you're saying, but when I spoke with my wedding coordinator she pointed out that they are a huge pain in the butt to try and get on to the banquet chairs properly and it's easier to just rent them and then the vendor who you rent them from takes care of this process.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_buying-own-chair-covers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:61e903aa-8fcc-4306-9e02-f05a8e19085dPost:5bf17cf6-7610-433d-adb9-b72d2efd46f1">Re: Buying your own chair covers???</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my opinion only ugly metal or plastic chairs actually need chair covers. Are you renting the actual chairs?  Wouldn't it be cheaper to just upgrade to nice garden chairs or chiavari chairs?  My wedding had garden chairs and they looked lovely on their own.  We rented the linens for the tables through our caterer and they were very affordable.  Personally I'd much rather rent than go through the hassle of buying and then reselling (knowing me, I'd never actually get around to listing the linens on eBay).
    Posted by Islamorada14[/QUOTE]

You're so lucky! I absolutely love chiavari chairs! But sadly my venue has ugly-grandma style looking banquet chairs and me and FI along with our moms agreed we need to cover them up! Haha
  • I was thinking about buying them as well, but like someone mentioned...you never know if they are going to fit the chairs until you try them on.  The chairs at my venue are disgusting platic and metal chairs and they would desperately require chair covers, but they are so expensive to rent!

I'm still not sure what I am going to do yet!

Where were you thinking about buying them from? *interested to know*
  • Have you looked at www.linentablecloth.com ?  You can use the twitter coupon for an additional 20% off, plus free shipping. 
    The code is:  twitter50082010
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards