Not Engaged Yet
Options

Moissanite?

Hi girls-

I was just curious does anyone have/looked at moissanite rings before? Is there a huge difference or do you have any insight on them? Also isn't there another diamond like stone that starts with an "a"? Also, how do they relate in price to a diamond?

Thanks in advance.
Anniversary

Re: Moissanite?

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I know a ton about moissanite.

I think the other stone you're referring to is asha?  It's a high-quality, coated cubic zirconia.  One of the girls on here, Panda, has one and her ring is fabulous.

Moissanite is doubly-refractive, which in plain English means it's sparklier than diamond.  It's almost as hard as diamond and it's harder than any other non-diamond stone.  It does, however, have a slight color to it.  This can range from gray to green to yellow depending on the quality of the stone.  Moissaniteco.com offers "enhanced" moissanite which has been surface treated to remove some of the color, and they're the whitest moissanites available, but they cost a little more.

PM me your email address, and I'll send you a pic of my moissy ring.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    You've got mail, Palmetto!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much! You're ring is gorgeous!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Moissanite is similar to a diamond in that it's a very hard substance.  However, it does have a yellowish color to it.  If you want something REALLY colorless (think G color or better if it were a diamond), moissanite may not be for you.

However, moissanite is significantly cheaper than a diamond.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    You're welcome, and thank you!

It's not on my finger yet, but it should be soon... I hope!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't seen it set yet, by my moissanite stone looked colorless. It was from moissanite co and was enhanced. Enhancement is only $100 more per ct and can only be applied to larger stones.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I recommend finding a jeweler that has Moissanite you can look at. A place I went to had some earrings in stock. The jeweler actually though Lannyte (which I blieve is another brand of cubic zirconia) would go better with my setting, and he gave us one of each to take out in the sunlight.

The Moissanite had a very slight yellow tint in the sun. We decided we liked the look of the Lannyte better (it was cheaper, too). I'm happy with the Lannyte so far, and if it doesn't hold up, we'll replace it. Lannyte is warranted, so if it chips or gets scratched, they'll replace it.

Anyway, definitely find some Moissanite you can see in person to see how you like it. I certainly didn't dislike it, I just thought the Lannyte was the better choice for my setting.

Here's a good pricing reference: http://www.moissaniteco.com/loose_stones3.html
    The jeweler I went to would charge about $300 for Moissanite for the 6mm size that I have. The Lannyte was about $200--I think that was actually a little high, but we got a good deal on the setting.
  • Options
    figment23figment23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Moissanite's color also depends on the cut. Round brilliants under roughly 1.85-2ct face up very white by the nature of the cut. Same with cushions in the 1.5 and under size.

The princess cut will show a lot more color than a round brilliant of the same size. You will have more cut and size choices with an Asha, but Moissanite is more durable and sparklier if that is your thing.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_moissanite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d02f2822-0b29-4277-aa20-622b57883848Post:f5962e75-b226-4f5c-bd48-8811b8a4de86">Re: Moissanite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Moissanite's color also depends on the cut. Round brilliants under roughly 1.85-2ct face up very white by the nature of the cut. Same with cushions in the 1.5 and under size. <strong>The princess cut will show a lot more color than a round brilliant of the same size. You will have more cut and size choices with an Asha, but Moissanite is more durable and sparklier if that is your thing.</strong>
    Posted by figment23[/QUOTE]

Quick clarification.  It's pretty difficult to find "princess cut" moissanite.  Most dealers don't offer it, because it does show a lot more color than some other cuts.  What you'll find instead is a "square brilliant".  Same general shape as a princess cut, but with more facets to let in more light.

Unless you're set on a step cut shape (asscher or emerald cut, for example), you'll be able to find a moissanite you like.  I do recommend spending the extra cash for the enhanced version, though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another option you may consider is lab grown diamonds. diamondnexuslabs.com was a website I looked at and was pleasantly suprised by the prices.
  • Options
    PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_moissanite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:d02f2822-0b29-4277-aa20-622b57883848Post:4da1d346-1615-4530-866f-8ec5b7b412d7">Re: Moissanite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Another option you may consider is lab grown diamonds. diamondnexuslabs.com was a website I looked at and was pleasantly suprised by the prices.
    Posted by niknik15[/QUOTE]

I don't know how many times I've said this, but I hate DNL. I wouldn't give a rat's ass if they just marketed their product for what it is, rather than obfuscating the fact that it is CZ, and making people believe that it's a synthetic diamond. SYNTHETIC IS NOT THE SAME AS SIMULANT. Read this because I'm tired of repeating myself.
    <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_asha-diamond-nexus" rel="nofollow">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_asha-diamond-nexus</a>
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks for letting me know about that

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I

have a moissanite ring and I am very happy with it. My ring has a 1.5 ct equivalent enhanced cushion cut stone in it. We paid and extra $150 to get the enhanced stone and I feel that it was worth it. I have not noticed any color in my stone. I like the sparkle that my ring has and I like how durable the stone is. I got my ring from moissaniteco.com and am very happy with the service I have gotten from them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow! Just want to say thanks to you all for the valueable information. I stumbled across Moissanite while browsing and think it's a perfect fit for my honey and me.

Also, you can use the site of the company that manufactors it to find a local retailer:
    http://www.moissanite.com/retail_locator/
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_moissanite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:d02f2822-0b29-4277-aa20-622b57883848Post:5e2b87aa-dc61-43d9-a927-c6ae5a0b2e9c">Re: Moissanite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow! Just want to say thanks to you all for the valueable information. I stumbled across Moissanite while browsing and think it's a perfect fit for my honey and me. Also, you can use the site of the company that manufactors it to find a local retailer: <a href="http://www.moissanite.com/retail_locator/" rel="nofollow">http://www.moissanite.com/retail_locator/</a>
    Posted by talmagelisabeth[/QUOTE]

Hi new poster, can I just point something out in a friendly way?

It's really nice to see that you went through some old posts to find ones that are applicable to you, but once threads are more than a few days/weeks old they're basically considered dead and good netiquette is to refrain from replying so they don't get bumped back up to the top of the board. And this one is about a month old now.

Just a heads up, but please stick around and even introduce yourself in a new post. Dead threads are just a pet peeve of mine. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to have annoyed you but this is valueable information that may have helped not just me but numerous other people who may not have seen the thread before, hence bringing it back to the top. Just because old threads bother you does not mean I need a lesson in netiquette. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards