New Mexico

ABQ & Hyatt Tamaya

Has anyone been to an event at the Hyatt Tamaya?  I am looking at the Cottonwood even space there and want to knwo if anyone has used them and if so any pictures?  It is just a large tent so I would be very interested to see what it can look like all decked out.  THe hotel does not have anything they can share. 

Also in Albuquerque, I was looking for some offbeat places that can hold a large group of people (300-ish)  I was looking at the Balloon Museum but it does not seem like it would hold everyone for a sitdown dinner?  THank you!

I should add that I am looking at November, so outside is probably NOT a good idea.  Thanks again!

Re: ABQ & Hyatt Tamaya

• edited December 2011
    I LOVE the Tamaya Inn!! It is sooo beautiful, and if I could afford it, I would love to get married out there by the Cottonwood trees!! I dont have any pics, but I was at a friends wedding there! Will you be here early or late Nov? Maybe you could just do a quick ceremony outside... The tent was a huge white tent. I am not sure who decorated it, but it was very pretty! I do have to say that the food was not very good though, especially for the price.. GL!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kbramlittkbramlitt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked there and was showed pictures of the gigantic white tent decorated.  I imagine it would cost a lot to decorate that blank canvas.  Coincidently, just before my appointment at another venue we met the designers at Distracted by Decor who said they had done lots of weddings out there at Tamaya.  They gave me their contact info and I called  2 or 3 times to get in touch with them and didn't get a call back.   Anyways, maybe you will have better luck.  The guy was named Rob, I believe.  They seemed to be a very highly regarded company there in ABQ.  The lady at Prairie Star said it was the only company she trusted at her venue.  I just think it was unfortunate I was never able to touch base with them.  However, maybe it is a good thing as I don't really need to be tempted with spending extra money to have someone else decorate a space for me.  That big white tent does need it though....awesome, natural, setting otherwise.
  • BeazillaBeazilla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say the Ballon Museum, Albuquerque Museum, or Hispanic Cultural Center would be your best bets for 300 people in an off-beat sort of place. The Pueblo cultural center might be able to handle that many people as well.

I looked at the Tamaya (way too pricey for me) and I thought there were some ceremony pictures online. But a quick google search for "Tamaya wedding" brings up a lot of links to photos, so that might help you. It doesn't look like most people use a tent for ceremonies there (and in November the sun isn't bad). Early Novemeber is still pretty nice during the day (like 60s, maybe 70s) and at night, you could use propane heaters outside.
  • edited December 2011
    I had a similar situation like the previous poster. I contacted Distracted by Decor and I got one response and nothing else since then....And if you're going to work with them plan to fork out a lot of $$$. They do GREAT work with a big price tag attached! I inquired about a few minor details I wanted for our wedding and I was looking at a $6,000 bill...Yikes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jandamathewsjandamathews member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Indian Cultural center is awesome and is all-inclusive (tables chairs catering) and starts at $20 per perspn up to $40. 
  • edited December 2011
    I had my reception at the Tamaya in late October last year, and couldn't be happier.  Velma is the best person to talk with there- she is understanding, a wonderful person, and extremely organized. 
    We didn't end up using the Cottonwoods because we thought it might get windy and also didn't want any of our older guests (we had about 180 total) to have trouble outside in the dark).  They combined 2 of the ballrooms for us to make plenty of space, which we appreciated as other, smaller spaces that might have just have accommodated our guests would not have left room for things like our own bar and a Marcha.
    We didn't do any extensive decor, because it was too expensive, but we did do uplighting along the walls, which helped a lot in terms of creating atmosphere.  A simple ceiling treatment would make a big difference in any of their spaces.  Is there anyone getting married the day before or after who would want to share that expense with you?
    Also, November is a down month for many Hyatt locations, so negotiating the prices could go more in your favor.  See if your date is listed here to get some wriggle room:
    Good luck!  We couldn't have picked a more lovely, attentive place to have the reception!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards