Texas-Austin

Possibly moving.... please help

I posted this on the nest board as well.

So I am looking for jobs around the Austin area, one in particular is at DELL. I was wondering if anyone on here works for DELL and how you like it?  Every job has it flaws, but from the website it sounds like a good company to work for.  Also how is Round Rock?  I live in a town of about 20,000 people so I can imagine that RR is going to big a huge change. Like does it take a 30 min just to get to the grocery store? RR sounds like a nice town to live in, but is there a smaller town close to it? We would rent first till we knew the area better, but is there a better area in Round Rock to live and are there apartments or houses that are reasonable priced to rent. We probably couldn't afford more than $500-600 a month and it is just the DH and I and a dog. Thanks for all the help
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Possibly moving.... please help

• erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did not grow up in Round Rock (Cedar Park/ Leander/ North Austin area is home). As far as I know all of the suburbs north of Austin are good places to live. Been some time since I rented in Austin but I do believe that it is possible to find a 1 bedroom in that area for $600. Hutto is smaller and just east of Round Rock.

It does take time to get anyplace in the Greater Austin Area (the lake, malls, etc.). If you live in the central part of the area (183 & Mopac/Loop 1) it takes 30 min to an hour to get most places. Traffic is awful during rush hour. I always try to avoid I35 like the plague (I also avoid 59 in Houston).

Good Luck with the Job and Apartment search. Austin is a fantastic place. I miss it so much.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the best thing to do is live near where you work. THe less time you spend commuting, the better. Round Rock is a nice place to live in general. THere are lots of subdivisions and nice apartment complexes. I don't think you will get anything more than an efficiency at $500-$600/month, realistically.

Hutto and Cedar Park are smaller suburbs near Round Rock, or you could go as far north as Georgetown, but the commute would not be nice. I think it all depends on which Dell campus you are on. I agree that you don't want to go anywhere near 1-35 most of the time, but especially during rush hour. The toll roads (45, 130, and the north section of Mopac) are great ways to commute. Its worth the money to most people I know.

There are grocery stores everywhere. You'd have to live WAY out of town to drive 30 minutes to a grocery store.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I also looked at working for Dell, but they have a tendency to "clean house" often and at bad times of the year (Christmas.)  On the other hand, I have a few friends who have been with the company for over a year, so who knows.  
  • edited December 2011
    I work at Dell and all I can say is that it depends what department you work in. I know that probably doesn't help. I've been working here for almost a year and I love it but my fiance worked in a different department *cough*sales*cough* for about 6 months and quit in December because he hated it. I don't know if I'd say they "clean house" at bad times during the year - they're like any other company in this economy right now and do have to lay people off occasionally. Look at HP - they're laying off 9000 right now - that's huge! I'd say stay away from (consumer) sales and you should be ok!
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a friend who is  a project manager and she has been with them for almost 10 years, and is continually promoted, and another friend that keeps getting laid off and brought back on as a contractor a few times a year. It all depends on what department you are in.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I just moved to a house in Round Rock from Pflugerville. There's tons of grocery stores nearby so I wouldn't worry about it. The apartments are probably priced higher in RR than Pfluger and Hutto but there's quite a few to choose from. I tried to get my BFF to live near me but after comparing prices, she decided she got more room for her money living in Pfluger. The only drawback from living here is that we are pretty far north from downtown festivities (about 25 min drive).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards