Military Brides

Birthday in a box!

Hey, girls.  I'm still somewhat new to this board.  I'll be marrying my sailor in July. 
His birthday was this past week, but we were on opposite sides of the country, thanks to the Navy.

So, I remembered reading about a birthday in a box and decided to try it.  It was a HUGE hit!  Basically, you just bake a cake in mason jars and send the cake in a box with tubs of frosting, candles, plates, cups, napkins, etc.

My fiance LOVED it!  You can find directions online for how to bake the cake.  Just search "cake in a jar".

Anyway, since we're all soon-to-be military wives, I thought I'd share it with you ladies. 
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Birthday in a box!

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My H has actually said that people on his deployment have gotten the cake in a jar too.  I figured I would look into it for his next deployment.  The birthday in a box is a really cute idea though too.

Another tip for mailing home baked goodies is to get a Food Saver.  We put one on our registry and got it as a shower gift.  I tried it out one time baking my chocolate chip cookies for H and mailing them, and he says that even after the 2-3 weeks it takes to get to him, they still taste as fresh as if I had made them that day.  So I was mailing him cookies constantly and his whole shop loved it.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • prodigalgirlprodigalgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh... thanks for the tip!

As far as the birthday in a box goes I was able to put all 12 mason jars with the cake and some plates and napkins and things in one large flat rate box.  The frosting (I chose three different jars of frosting) and some party favors and a few birthday presents went in a medium flat rate box.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • JynxeyJynxey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    These are both really cute tips. Thanks ladies!
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of those! I might look into it now myself! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards