Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Southern traditions?

I'm having an old-south themed wedding at an antebellum plantation in Mississippi next spring where my FI grew up, but as someone who was grew up in California, I'm not familiar with southern customs and traditions. Any ideas?

Re: Southern traditions?

• If going Old Fancy Southern: The tableware MUST be silver. The chicken must be white. You must wear gloves (& prolly a blusher for the ceremony, too). And you might want to think about having a couple Magnolia blossoms in your flower arangements as well. If you don't want something that formal, try an afternoon barbeque-style affair on the lawn for a reception.
  • Read Somebody Is Going to Die if Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet.  It's a hoot, has loads of Delta (DEEP South) traditions, and some wonderful menus and recipes for all sorts of wedding-related parties.

I'm having a charm pull.  Sterling silver charms (with nice meanings) will be inserted between the cake and platter; bridesmaids and other single friends will pull the attached ribbons before the cake cutting, to see what their futures will be.

My reception is a cocktail party-type affair, as opposed to seated dinner.  Rather than an open bar, we're having a Baptist punch and an Episcopal punch (with and without alcohol).  Friends will cut the cake and serve punch.

We will have an open ceremony, with a copy of the wedding invitation (minus reception info) published in the church newsletter a month prior and in the bulletin a week before.  Therefore, we are having the receiving line in the church foyer immediately following the ceremony, so we can greet everyone and not just those who received invitations in the mail and who will be going on the reception.

There will be small (old Virginia) ham biscuits and (since we're in Maryland) crab cakes at the reception.  All food will be finger or toothpick food, except for the cake.  There will be a grooms cake, as well.

Best wishes to all y'all for wonderful Southern weddings!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards