Chinese Weddings

Help me choose a dress, please?

Hi ladies,
First time posting on this board! Some quick background info: I'm Laura and my FI is Brian - we are having our main wedding ceremony and reception here in San Diego. My parents are hosting a Chinese banquet reception ~3 weeks later in San Francisco (where I'm from, and where 99% of all my relatives live).

I'm having trouble choosing between these two dresses and wanted your input! The thing is, Brian and I are paying for the main wedding in SD ourselves, so I'm on a budget.

This first dress is silk with embroidery and will cost around $218 incl shipping and custom measurements (from eaststore.com)

This second dress is the same style, but I really like this fabric.. it looks a little more modern and simple IMO. It would only cost $118 total - also custom made (efushop.com). 

My mom likes the embroidered ones because it's more "special" for a wedding. I know it's not a huge price difference, but I doubt I'm going to ever wear it again, so why pay more?

What do you ladies think?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
Laura & Brian | October 23, 2010 | Planning Bio!

Re: Help me choose a dress, please?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I think the second one is prettier. If she wants the more expensive one, she can pay for it, lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the second one better (and whatever makes your budget works for you!). (o:
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the second one better, too. But at the same time, if it does become a big issue with your mom, I would spend the money on her choice.
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, I like the 2nd one more and it is more re-wearable.

You may have it altered to knee length and wear it again during Chinese New Year or for another party.

Or is there a 3rd dress with modern embroidery design? :)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I like the 2nd one better too, thanks for backing me up haha.

I guess I don't have to worry about it now, though. We JUST called off the SF reception last night, after talking it over with my parents (long story, but mainly money issues and snarky relatives). A little sad I won't get the Chinese wedding experience (tea ceremony and banquet), but more relieved that my parents won't have to go bankrupt just to host a party.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Laura & Brian | October 23, 2010 | Planning Bio!
  • rbtrumpetrbtrumpet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the second one - I was actually looking at something like the first one, but my roommate (who is from Hong Kong) said it was more "waitress" style rather than "wedding" style.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards