July 2012 Weddings

too many questions

we got engaged in february, but neither of us were working and it was a very unplanned impromptu popping of the question. (i mean, he didn't even have a ring!) so we decided to sort of keep it quiet for awhile until we got back on our feet. But of course, i hadn't told anyone but my bff and a few others so no planning was being done. Well we finally decided to start trying to plan, or at the very least price things out so we could determine a workable budget for what we had in

I finally started by going to a bridal show, calling venues, getting prices, and dragging the poor fh all over nj checking out places within our budget. But now i realize how much is actually involved, and i'm getting stuck on so many questions with what is and is not appropriate. Most are in ways i'm trying to cut costs. Can anyone give me some feed back on some ideas?

1.) I want to ask my cousin if he would be the photographer. but i know he's on the guest list regardless. Is it ok to ask a family member, knowing that now they dont get to be a guest and enjoy the wedding? Or how much do you offer to pay them? I was kind of hoping he would do it as a gift.

2.) I have a 3yo from a previous relationship, which is giving me alllllllll sorts of "whats appropriate?" questions. His father and i still get along. (not like, go hang out get along, just, we see each other often enough and we're friendly with each other) I'm also still relatively close with his family. So as of now I'm thinking of him and his gf, his sister and bf, mother and bf, and father and wife, on the guest list. But at the same time I'm trying to cut that list down a bit. But i'm not sure where to draw the line if i cut some of them out, nor am i sure how it looks for them to be at my wedding. And i was also considering asking the new gf to do my makeup because thats what she does for a living.

3.) While talking to a planner at a venue, she suggested considering renting flowers for centerpieces. Some nurseries will evidentally rent potted plants for the day. And some florists located near large hotels will rent cut flowers and then resell them to the hotel the day later (obviously assuming you choose ones that will not wilt in 1 day). My fear is that sometimes people take centerpieces after the fact, and i don't want to have that confrontation, especially since the fh says his gm is one of those people. Is it tacky to rent flowers? And has anyone actuallly explored that option? I'm trying to get a feel for price differences.

4.) we're still open to the idea of a backyard wedding (like i said, still pricing things out) i'm trying to keep it at least semi formal though if we do go that route. Does that eliminate the option of the looks like real china plastic plates and silverware, because renting these items is a LOT more expensive than i realized. That's actually the reason i switched from the backyard idea to checking venues, because i figure if its not that much more expensive and saves you a lot of hassel it just might be the way to go.

Anyway, sorry for my ramblings. I'm sure as soon as i hit send i"ll think of more. Any input would be greatly greatly appreciated!!!!!

Re: too many questions

• First of all you and FI need to decide on a budget.  Then you'll be able to work on the guest list. you'll know how many people you can afford and how many you cannot!

Now to your questions...

1) Is it ok to ask a family member, knowing that now they dont get to be a guest and enjoy the wedding? Or how much do you offer to pay them? I was kind of hoping he would do it as a gift.  Yes, it is okay to ask a family member to provide their services.  However, you cannot expect it to be a gift unless they offer.  Make sure to ask him how much he costs and see what he says.  He may or may not offer to give you a discount or give you the service for free.

2) I suggest cutting your ex's family.  I would stick to just your close family and friends.  Especially if you're worried about money. 

3) Pick out flowers that you like.  See if you can afford them from a florist. If you cannot, check out your local arts and crafts store (i.e. Michael's, JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore, etc.) You can hire I believe one of them to do fake flower arrangements.  Another option would be to checking out getting flowers in bulk.  Sometimes that can cut costs, sometimes it can't.  Check out Sam's Club or Costco.  They do bulk orders on specific flowers.  Get multiple ideas for centerpieces, bouquets, etc. that way you can kind of see how much things will cost.

4)  You may be able to find a caterer in your area who has packages where there is full service (i.e. tear of and take down of tables, chairs, linens and provides silverware, plates, etc.)  Check out your area.  Another place to ask for vendor recommendations is your local board.  Check out the NJ board.

I hope this helps!  Do lots of research and do what is best for you and FI...
  • Congrats on your engagmenet and welcome to the board!

1- Yea, I agree with littlemoments on this.  Feel free to ask your cousin but you shouldnt expect him/her to a- give you a discount cause this is how they support themselves and b- you can expect them to do this fo free unless they offer, whcih if they did great!.

2- Cut the ex's family.  Your looking to cut costs and by having them not only are you incresing yours cost by 8-10 people. Informe them, if they ask that your very sorry and wish that you could have had them there but that your just having a very small intimate affair. You could always just invite them to the reception after dinner if you really want to see them there.

3-Once again I agree with littlemoments. If you don't have a membership to a Costco, Sam's club etc. try to find someone who does. I've heard tons of great things about their flower arangements.  Use flowers that are in season and you'd be surprised what baby's breath can do to fill out an arangement and its a very low cost option.  Also you can go the option of just picking wilflowers and pray for the best or you can ask a friend or even yourself if the option is there, if they have a beautiful garden if they would mind getting your flowers from them. 

4- I know there are caterers that will do full catering place settings even for a BBQ, I was going to do this when FI and I were considering a tent wedding.  Mnay of the caterers here include the cost of your cutlery, china, linens, glasses, napkins and the such in the cost fo the food. Check your local board.

Good Luck
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • I agree with everything the PPs said. Keep searching for the perfect venue. Google is your friend. Bounce ideas off of us as well. We love to help! :)
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards