Utah

I am LDS from Richmond Virginia PLEASE HELP

I just got engaged to the love of my life, and we are going to wait till I get back from my mission to get married. I am the girl here so I have had a lot of people in the church tell me not to go, but that I need to just get married. My fiancé and I have prayed a lot about it and we know that the Lord wants me to go. So I guess what I am trying to ask is should I go, and if I do go what should I tell everybody?

Re: I am LDS from Richmond Virginia PLEASE HELP

• ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not LDS, but it sounds like you have not gone on your mission yet, and people are telling you to skip the mission and get married now?

I would say don't get married now, you're in your early 20s.  You chage a LOT in your early 20s.  Plus you would have gone on your mission even if you were engaged, so keep on track with that. 

Have a letter writing romance with your fiance.
  • edited December 2011
    The church used to say that if a girl has a chance to get married then she needs to do it and forego a mission.  However, I don't hear much about that any more; maybe they realized that a girl needs a bit more in her life than to jump into a marriage right out of high school.

If you feel like you need to go on your mission, then go.  No one else can tell you what is best for you.  When people ask, you can just say that you felt in your heart that you needed to go.  No other explanation is needed; it's none of their business.

If your love is true, then your guy will wait another 18 months for you (and send you lots of letters).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I say go on the mission trip and see the world if you have the opportunity. Put off the engagement & mature some. Your FI sounds like a real doucheburger....

Just FYI TK ladies...
    http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/4110123/ShowForum.aspx
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not LDS but from growing up in Utah, having bestfriends go on missions both boys and girls, I wouldn't go while you are engaged. From what I get a mission is to bring you closer to God, to teach and share your beliefs with others. You shouldn't be distracted from that. Your mission is  a great way to meet new people and make friends for life wherever you are called to. 

After reading through the post BettyBookworm linked to, I think it would be a good idea for you to go on your mission. Put your relationship on hold and see if he waits for you. If boys cannot have girlfriends, or are not supposed to have girlfriends when they leave on their missions I would say the same goes for you. Just take a break, don't worry about planning a wedding, focus on God and his work he has for you. If your fiance really loves you, he will wait for you. It will give you and your fiance both time to grow up a little, to mature. Beleive me, I'm nowhere near the person I was when I was 20-21 than I am now at 25.  Four years does make a difference. 
  • edited December 2011
    If you've prayed about it and feel you got your answer...then problem solved right? that said, I highly doubt your bishop would let you put your papers in while you're engaged. At least, thats what my bishop would do. 

Good luck with your decision! :) 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't find which post was actually hers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards