Florida-West Coast

Tampa area knotties!

Who's going to Gasparilla tomorrow? It's my 3rd year in a row, so excited! I wanted to see who shares in my love for this local tradition!

Re: Tampa area knotties!

• jen812jen812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family talks about this all the time.  What is it exactly?  And what makes it so fun?
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think i'm going, when I lived in South Tampa I went but now it's just too much for my tastes :)

I know someone that is part of the Ye Old Mystic Krew though! Sealed
  • edited December 2011
    This is my favorite part about living in Tampa!!!!!!!!
    I am so excited
  • signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's a Tampa tradition dating back to I don't know when.  It's a pirate invasion of the city with parades, floats, beads, and general debauchery.  It's great fun.
  • edited December 2011
    oh man!  I totally miss Gasparilla!!!  My g/f's and I would drive down from Tallahassee on this weekend every January in college.  Its like a smaller version of mardi Gras!!!  Although I have a feeling my poor liver wouldn't make it through the day the way it back when.  Hope everyone who goes has fun!

ps. I'll be stuck up here in the NE where temps are a high of 17 today....brr (jen812...isn't this CRAZY cold?)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jen812jen812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like fun.  To everyone that's going, have a drink for me & be safe!
    TTNoles- It's horribly cold!  I'm soooo sick of it already.  Brrrrrr.
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-west-coast_tampa-area-knotties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:62Discussion:3da9867f-bbc6-4d25-99d4-120e84b14427Post:cf6c810b-9010-4cdd-8523-3ac0c7120200">Re: Tampa area knotties!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's a Tampa tradition dating back to I don't know when.  It's a pirate invasion of the city with parades, floats, beads, and general debauchery.  It's great fun.
    Posted by signingjulie[/QUOTE]

It's 105 or 106 years old
  • babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I use to perform in the parade every year while I was in HS. Now I never want to go again because of the drunk pirates hitting on 14-18 yr old girls in spandex.
  • edited December 2011
    you know, i've lived in tampa my whole life, yet i have never been to gasparilla...i've ran the gasparilla distance classic, but never have i been to the actual parade

i heard though that there was talk of canceling it this time due to the weather...does anyone know if they did?
    keep on knotin' in the free world!

SEVIN
  • signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    they definitely didn't cancel it although the weather was yucky.  I didn't make it to the actual parade.  My friend lives at the beginning of the parade route so I saw a little of that from her yard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards