Military Brides

Holidays and Fiance..

I LOVE the holidays and so does my FI. However this year, I don't think I will be enjoying them as much. Of course we knew that he wouldn't be coming home fore Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I thought he would be hanging out with his friends that he lives with.. Well turns out they are going home for Thanksgiving, not sure about Christmas yet, so FI will be all alone! I feel awful! I wish I could go up there to be with him but I only have a few days off of school and I just had toe surgery today, so driving myself is out of the picture. Also, his first niece was born today, and he won't get to see her until January. None of us will I guess, since they live in Kansas, but still it makes me sad.

I wish that I could do something to cheer him up. He says he is fine, he has Waldo(our newly adopted dog (: ) but I still feel like I should do something. Also, is anyone sending Christmas presents in the mail so they will have something to open Christmas morning from you?
Anniversary

Re: Holidays and Fiance..

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    SO was in Japan his first contract, so he didn't get holidays with his family,  and now he's not a huge fan of the holidays. It's such a bummer.

Here at Pendleton, they have an Adopt a Marine program for single Marines who don't get to go home for the holidays. They generally have more volunteering hosts than Marines who need a place to go. 

Hopefully you'll get to have Christmas together and good luck with the toe recovery! 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • natalieervinnatalieervin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! :) Hopefully my toes will be better soon! lol
    Well he has leave at the 1st of January. So he will be home then.. I just know how much he loves the holidays and I hate the fact that the couple he lives with won't be there. Which I understand, since they haven't been home in forever, but still. I wish I could go see him in December but with his sister getting married in January (thats why he is coming home) and me being a bridesmaid, I already promised certain dates to her. I know it will turn out okay.. I really want to think of a good gift to send him though to open on Christmas morning..
    Anniversary
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is stationed in Japan. His first year there, he couldn't take leave either for the holidays, so I came to him instead. For Thanksgiving this year, they were supposed to be back in port, but had underway schedule changes again, so my recent trip there was cut short and they don't get Thanksgiving. Although he does got leave and gets to come home for Christmas, which will be his 1st Christmas home for the past 2 years! Last Xmas, he couldn't come home and I couldn't see him so I sent him a huge package with a lot of presents and goodies. That definitely made him feel really good! So a good gift for your FI is a really nice idea! I even wrapped the package box with Xmas wrapping! 

I hope too that your toe gets better fast! And hopefully he gets to have Xmas and you 2 can be together! :) 

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    kara- thank you very much! I think that I am going to send a big package! :) I am glad your FI finally gets to come home for Christmas! :) I know you are so excited about it!
    Anniversary
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My H is deployed so he won't be with me for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Valentine's Day, and its our first as a married couple.  But I won't let myself be upset about it because its not something that either of us can control.  Luckily with my job since I work from home, I am able to go home to NY for 2 weeks around Christmas and New Years and can just work from there, and spend time with family and friends.  H will be spending his holidays on a ship in the middle of the water somewhere. 

I just put his Christmas package in the mail yesterday, sans his actual gift.  He wanted a sleeping bag so I had to send that, but I also sent a few new DVDs, including a Charlie Brown Christmas, some chocolate chip cookies I made, the Clif bars he loves, and a few other things.  He wants an iPod shuffle for Chistmas so I'm going to send that on its own and insure the box.  I'm sure he won't wait until Christmas morning to open it, and actually I don't even know if it would be there by Christmas.  He knows its coming though so its no a surprise.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hang in there!  He'll be okay - I've lived overseas during Thanksgiving, and no one celebrates.  It's a day that isn't a big deal to recreate later - just promise him that you'll cook a full Thanksgiving at some point when you're together next. Trust me, it tastes just as good even if it isn't in November!  I had Thanksgiving in August once - still loved it.

I'm feeding 4 Marines tomorrow who can't go home for the holidays.  They're all law students who have finals next week, so it's a little different than being on base or deployed.  But these guys are studying to be judge advocates in the USMC, and they deserve to have a great dinner before they get sucked into finals.  And BF's Dad is a retired Marine, Vietnam veteran.  So we'll have several big appetites around the table!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  I know that we'll be giving thanks for all of those who are not around a table with their family because they're serving their country.  So you can smile knowing someone is thankful to your loved one while enjoying their meal.

Anniversary

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    dnbeach- I am sorry that your husband has been deployed during the holidays, but I am glad you get to go home to your family! :) My FI is only in SC but that is 12 hours away from me.. I still think he will really enjoy getting the package from him! :) You are very strong! Keep that attitude! I admire you for that!

calindi- Thanks! I am sure those Marines really appreciate you! :) and I am sure you will be cooking A LOT tomorrow! lol

Happy Thanksgiving to all!! I am very thankful for all of the men and women that protect our country and will be remembering them and their families over the holidays!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    OP-I know how hard the holidays can be, especially the first year you are apart! Sending him Christmas presents is a great idea. My fiance is deployed and I sent him some Christmas decorations. He and his guys somehow came up with some sort of Christmas tree for the barracks, but they had no decorations for it. Maybe you could send you fiance some supplies to decorate his apartment?

My fiance is kind of like Stan's SO in that he doesn't have much interest in the hoidays anymore. Last year I convinced him to come back to our home state so we could visit our families for the holidays, which was the first time he'd been with family or anyone in 5 years. He really isn't interested in any holiday traditions or celebratons, I think because he got so used to spending it alone. I'd encourage you to try to encourage him to participate in the celebrations on his base or find some friends to celebrate. At the very least they should have some sort of special holiday meal on the base, but they'll probably have other things going on as well.  Maybe you guys could video chat and open your presents together? Anything to help him get in the spirit so that you two can still enjoy the holidays once you are married.

I hope it goes well for you and your fiance. Happy Thanksgiving!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am going to ask him if he and the couple he lives with have a tree and decorations. I am sure they at least have a tree or are going to get one. I have been getting Christmas decorations for our house, since a lot of them have been on sale around here lately! So I might get some stuff and send it to him and then we can use it next year for our home.

FI has only been gone for two years at the Holidays and so far he still has a great Christmas spirit! I think it helps that he knows that next year we will be togethere for the holidays. The video chat thing is a great idea! I will have to tell him about that! Thank you so much for your advice! Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Aww the holidays are tough.  I'm going through the same thing right now. FI is deployed over Thanksgiving and Christmas and he's missing our next Thanksgiving and Christmas too.  While I know that it's hard for me, it just breaks my heart to know that he'll be stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean or else in some random port, but away from family and friends.  I don't like to send expensive things overseas, but I just recently sent him a Christmas care package that was just bursting with Christmas spirit.  I sent him a stocking, all his favorite Christmas candy, including peanut butter Santas and mini candy canes and then filled the empty space with colored tinsel.  I figured if I couldn't spend Christmas with him, then I could at least send him Christmas in a box!  Maybe you could do something like that? And make sure that you include lots of pictures!!! Pictures of you, pictures of his family, whatever you think will make him smile.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry that he is missing all the holidays also! FI just found out that he will be all alone for Christmas day since the couple he lives with will be going home for the Holidays. :( He is however lucky to be on shore duty. I am planning on sending him some small things in a package soon! His birthday is in January and he will be home for his birthday (YAY!!!) so I am planning on keeping some presents from Christmas until then(the expensive ones especially!) I will be including lots of pictures!! :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards