Michigan-Detroit

can't decide where to register!

I really want to get the wedding shower invitations out but we can't decide where to register. We don't need a whole lot, mostly upgrading... i'm thinking bed bath and beyond and another... but where? I love target but i've heard many negative things about the registry system there. Penny's? Kohls? Sears? (haven't heard much- anyone register there?) Macy's? (is it overpriced compared to other stores?)Opinions? Advice? Experiences?
We're having a smaller wedding so I'm not sure if 2 stores is even necessary.
Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: can't decide where to register!

• edited December 2011
    BBB is definitely very common ... but it's up to you where you want to register for. It's not necessary to register at two (or three) places but some guests find it helpful. However, if you're havin ga smaller wedding that may not be necessary at all. 

FI and I are registering at BBB, Target, and Kohls because BBB has oodles of stuff and Target & Kohls are places we regularly shop. 
  • edited December 2011
    I registered at BBB, Macys, and Crate and Barrel. BBB is a standard place to register - well known, stores all over the place, and easy online ordering. Plus, everyone gets those 20% off coupons in the mail. Macys may seem expensive, but most everything on my registry was at least 40% off all the time. Plus, lots of people have Macys cards and get additional discounts. I registered at the Somerset store and had a great time, but have seen negative reviews about other locations. C&B carries a lot of the same items as BBB and Macys, but I just love C&B and had to register there. Think about what you want (create a list) and look at different stores to see which one (or two or three) will fit the best for you.
  • edited December 2011
    We're also registered at BBB and they have been awesome to work with so far.  I  just had my shower a few weeks ago in Michigan (I live in Seattle), and to avoid shipping costs and transportation issues we returned all the gifts in Michigan and re-purchased the same items in Washington.  They were so nice and made the process really easy!

Macy's is another place we're registered.  I was worried about cost too, but like a PP said, everything is always on sale.  And they're good sales too!

The third place we're registered is Amazon.com.  This has been awesome because everything we're registered for is from recommendations and reviews from America's Test Kitchen and Consumer Reports.  So anything we couldn't get through BBB or Macy's we found on Amazon.
  • emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did BBB and Target.
  • edited December 2011
    We started registries at BBB, Kohls and Macy's...but we are cancelling the one at Macy's and going to create one at Sears.

Ditto everything said about BBB.

We actually did not intend to register at Kohls but I stumbled across a ton of stuff I love, so we cancelled Macys (Which barely had anything on it anyway). 

We are doing one at Sears for tools, grill, lawn equipment etc... This will be nice because FIs family is throwing a couples shower for us this summer.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • missmelanie81missmelanie81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Im thinking we will do BBB and target. Target can be weird with their return policy, but as long as its on your registry...you shoud be ok. I always like when couples pick 2 different stores with one being on the "cheaper" end. That way you can work with every budget type.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
    200image 167image 32image 1image RSVP Date: May 1st
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_cant-decide-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:40be838f-3510-4cd8-94b5-dfd3b36f082ePost:20ea9179-84b7-498e-8ff7-b32f60d300da">Re: can't decide where to register!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im thinking we will do BBB and target. Target can be weird with their return policy, but as long as its on your registry...you shoud be ok. I always like when couples pick 2 different stores with one being on the "cheaper" end. <strong>That way you can work with every budget type.</strong>
    Posted by missmelanie81[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yuuuppp... FI and I are still in college and so are many of our friends (or freshly out of school) and I know they would rather shop at Target for 'fun things' than 'boring things' that may be more expensive somewhere else</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having the same dilemma...I know that JCP has some great benefits for registering with them.  Either JCP or Kohls gives you a discount on your items for a up to a year after the wedding.  No hassle return policies compared to Target's horrible return policy.

So we're definitely doing Kohls, JCP and either Target or BBB...Can't decide!!
  • edited December 2011
    We did BB&B and Target as well.  I knew that my family would appreiciate somewhere with less expensive options like Target and I was definitely right - many more items have been purchased there than at BB&B.  All of our shower guests from our first shower supplied gift receipts for us so we've had no problems thus far (knock on wood).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Kristen1114Kristen1114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bed, Bath & Beyond and Crate & Barrel, and I will be picking another place.  Probably Macy's, but not sure. 
    Though I love Target, I will definitely not be registering there based on the fact that they change their inventory so frequently (if you register for something early on, chances are that they may not still carry it by the time someone is actually looking to buy something) and because they have a weird return policy.
  • edited December 2011
      We only registered at BBB. They had everything we wanted and plenty of price points to choose from. Their return policy is awesome, so we don't have to worry if we change our color scheme or get duplicate gifts. We looked at Macy's and Pottery Barn, but neither had much we wanted (maybe 2-3 things at each store) so we decided not to register at either. So far, my great grandma is the only one to buy from our registry that I know of. She said the people were so helpful and liked that she got everything gift wrapped for free. She's almost 96, so it was nice to hear that it was so simple for her and that they took good care of her.
  • lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered at BBB and Crate and Barrel.  BBB is our pots and pans and knives and other necessary stuff.  Crate and Barrel is our fun/decorating stuff.  Our Bed Bath & Beyond registry is by far the biggest one and I only expect to get stuff from Crate and Barrel from my close friends because they also love that place as much as I do!
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We are registering at BBB, Target & Williams & Sonoma. Kiss
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the input! Target's so tempting... we'll have to go to a few stores and see what we like at each I guess.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    BBB, Target, William Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Kohls... there are lots of places.  It just depends on what kind of stuff your looking for. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Glambride09Glambride09 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We're going to register at BBB, Williams Sonoma and Kohls.  This covers each price range and all the bases of things we might need.  We also considered Macy's, but there was only a few things, here and there, that we liked.
    Venue: Book Cadillac imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards