• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
October 2010 Weddings

NWR: thinking of going back to school

I'm thinking of going to school to become a respiratory therapist. Only hesitation I have...I have not taken a science class since high school 11 years ago. I've always wanted to be in the medical field and I really think I would enjoy this.

I'm going on a visit to the college next week. I wouldn't start til March...not going to attempt school in the fall because of the wedding.

Any reassuring words? I'm nervous, but excited about the idea of it all.

10-10-10
Anniversary

Re: NWR: thinking of going back to school

• I think going back to school is a great idea. I agree you should check out the program and make sure you definately want to do respiratory therapy. I have been a medical assistant for 5 years and I am only 25 and everyone keeps telling me to go back for RN but ya know wedding, house then babies lol. So do it while you can now.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image
  • Go for it!  If you wait too long, you may not be able to because of kids, responsibilities, etc.  I just started back this summer (finishing my teaching license) and I am so glad that I did!
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Definitely! One thing you really want to look for is the school's ACTUAL placement rate (in your field of study versus just any job; there is a school in Orlando that tells everyone they have a 95% placement rate, but they count those kids who get jobs at McDonalds because they didn't cut it as a video game designer). Wander around campus and talk to real students (not just the ones who are there to give you the glitz and glam of the school) and ask how they like it there.

I always recommend people continue their schooling. I'm in school right now and it's really hard, but I know it will be worth it in the end. And that is coming from someone who was burned by her first degree (I graduated top of my class from a state school for hospitality management, and now I'm a receptionist due to some shiz that went down, bleh).

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• I say go for it as long as you will be able to get a job in your area afterwards (check in their placement rates).  As for not taking science in 11 years, you can always buy a few books to review on your own before school starts.  Also you could ease back into school by going part-time the first semester.
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    image image
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • SE1723SE1723 member
    1000 Comments
    thanks girls! I was thinking about part time for the schooling in the beginning. It will make the time frame longer, but if it helps it will be worth it.
    10-10-10
    Anniversary
  • i think definitely go for it!  it might be hard, and you might have to do things you dont necessarily want to (aka tutoring or something) but its sooo worth it!  WOO HOO!
    Photobucket
  • edited July 2010
    DOOO IT!!!!!I just got my bachelors degree at 33 years old.....one thing that cannot be taken away is your education. 

I wont lie to you and say that it is easy.  I worked full time and went to school full time and had a ton of stress.....but it all paid off when i got the degree in the mail!!!

If its something you want to do dont let anyone tell you you cant....you go girl

Oh and my first semester back i had to take Calculus....this was after being out of highschool for about 12 years lol...soooo dont fret you can doooo it!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker photo dip1004.jpg
  • SE1723SE1723 member
    1000 Comments
    thanks Courtney. I'll be about the same age when I finish as you are now.

also thanks Nichole. I have a feeling I'll be visiting the student center for tutoring.
    10-10-10
    Anniversary
  • In Response to Re: NWR: thinking of going back to school:
    thanks Courtney. I'll be about the same age when I finish as you are now. also thanks Nichole. I have a feeling I'll be visiting the student center for tutoring.
    Posted by SE1723
    Definitely be sure to take advantage of all of the student support services your college offers (like tutoring).  And for tutoring be sure to go early on in the semester.  Math and science courses tend to really build on prior material, so if you don't get something, your confusion will only snowball if you don't get help with it asap.  I used to tutor math for my work-study position, and when people came in a day or two before the final exam, there wasn't very much I could do, I can't squeeze a semester of learning into a couple of hours!  Also try to talk to students a year ahead of you in the program as they will be able to give you good advise that your advisor can't give you,  like which professors to avoid, what the real workload will be for a class (some professors forget that you are taking other classes besides theirs!), etc.

As PP said, a good education is something that nobody can ever take away from you.  GL!
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    image image
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
  • I say if you want the medical field, go for it!!  There are so many other things out there...Cardiac sonographers are a huge new job field in NY, so maybe look into that also ??

You just have to make sure you can deal with phelm, trach secretions, intubations, etc...yuck
    Married 10/10/10 Baby due 10/03/11 BabyFetus Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker My Bio/Blog...updated 9/01
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards