Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

non Teired Cake

Has anyone had thier cake with out any tiers???? Please send pictures!

My Future MIL took it upon herself to ask one of the pastors wives at their church to make our wedding cake, She didnt exactly talk to us either. I'm a little bit upset over it, but I want to make the best out of the situation we've got.   The lady makes tons of sheet cakes for their church. Its very good as regular cake, but her decorating skills aren't that great and the cake is dense. Not light like I think a wedding cake should be.

She is so excited about making our cake, it was almost like she was glowing. So I'd hate to break her heart and tell her no. I don't like cake too much, so its ok to me that its not the best and my FI is diabetic so he can't eat much either. But I don't really want a sheet cake for my wedding cake, which is what she wants to do. So I'm thinking getting stands and having round or square cakes at different height stands on the table and some greenery to connect them.

So I'm begging for ideas and pictures! I keep trying to google images of cakes, but all I seem to get are layers.

TIA
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: non Teired Cake

• edited December 2011
    Did you try to google "cakes on stands"?  I did that, and here are some I got.  Are these what you mean?

I imagine that if any of these is along the lines of what you're looking for, they could be adorned with floral or greenery as you would like.  I hope this helps, at least a little bit.
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gee, I hope the church lady is capable of making several round or square layer cakes!  :/   But yeah, she could just decorate them with swirls, swiss dots, or something else equally "basic and simple".  You can top each cake with fresh flowers and it will look just fab!  :)

You can use a variety of cake pedestals-either purchased or rented from a local rental company or even a local bakery.  Or just use stacked books, sturdy crates, acrylic risers, etc for each cake....cover the entire display with yards of soft material, swathed over and around the stands, then place your flowers/greens/votives around the display.  For an evening wedding you could even place white twinkle lights under the material!
  • bridalgal50bridalgal50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    found a few pics....

Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    My MOH and her mom are making my wedding cakes. They're all going to be round with fondant icing and on seperate platforms that I made from a tree from the backyard. 

If she makes a sheet cake, she can cut it into 4s and decorate it into 4 equal squares. I used to work in a grocery store bakery and we were only supposed to do sheet cakes for weddings (YUCK!), but I hated that (the grocery store manager was a guy, what does he know about weddings!?!) so I'd take a sheet, make it into squares and decorate them seperately but just charge them for 1 sheet cake....it was my time and effort and I was paid by the hour so going an extra mile to make someone's day was more important to me than telling someone "no".
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone!!!!   I love the tree platforms and the ribbon on the other,  I know she is able to make really good regular cakes, even a classic layered cake, its the "classic wedding" cake with the tiers on top of one another is what she can't do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards