Chit Chat
Options

So someone said this to me yesterday

I told someone I was getting married on Saturday. She got all excited and asked me if it was my first.  I told her no, it was his first but my second.  She then said "OH!" made a face, breathed in really slowly, dramatically exhaled, then after a pregnant pause told me.  "Well congratulations."

WTF?!

Re: So someone said this to me yesterday

• Options
    What a weird assed question to ask someone!  Was this a stranger, acquaintance, friend?  I went through a little bit of the 'Oh, well, it's a second wedding so I'm not obligated to get excited for you' garbage, but frankly, I couldn't have cared less.  No one is ever as excited as you are for your wedding regardless of whether it's your first or your fifth.  Still a weird question and even stranger response.

Congratulations on your wedding, hope you have a wonderful day!

Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    It's amazing how rude people are. 
  • Options
    radleyboo said:
    What a weird assed question to ask someone!  Was this a stranger, acquaintance, friend?  I went through a little bit of the 'Oh, well, it's a second wedding so I'm not obligated to get excited for you' garbage, but frankly, I couldn't have cared less.  No one is ever as excited as you are for your wedding regardless of whether it's your first or your fifth.  Still a weird question and even stranger response.

Congratulations on your wedding, hope you have a wonderful day!

It was someone I work with semi regularly when I'm in court but not frequently enough that she knew why our judge  kept commenting on me being gone for the next two weeks when trying to set hearing dates.

And thanks!
  • Options
    Such an awkward question for someone to ask.... but congrats on your wedding! I hope its absolutely fabulous!
  • Options
    What a rude question and an even more strange reaction!
  • Options
    I'm sticking with If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all - bc I can't think of anything nice to say about this "person." She should have practiced the same thing. What a......nm

Best wishes to you! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

What is a pregnant pause?

WonderRed said:
    I told someone I was getting married on Saturday. She got all excited and asked me if it was my first.  I told her no, it was his first but my second.  She then said "OH!" made a face, breathed in really slowly, dramatically exhaled, then after a pregnant pause told me.  "Well congratulations."

WTF?!

A lengthier than normal pause rife with judgmental anticipation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

What is a pregnant pause?

WonderRed said:

WTF?!

Or from Urban dictionary  <---- click here

1. pregnant pause
    The silence that occurs after someone has said or done something that leaves everyone who bore witness to the event speechless.

The first cousin of awkward silence.

A pregnant pause often occurs when something that requires a sarcastic response happens, but no one quite knows what to day or do.
  • Options

Just... wow.   My favorite general retort is ususally, "wow, what a ________ thing to say" and change the tone to suit the situation.  Can be said in a bemused way or I'mma rip your face off way. 

Used it most recently on the wife of FI's friend, who started grilling me about the wedding, the problems with his ex wife (long story) and then about whether I intend to have children.  I do not, as it happens, but was not about to discuss it with Nosypants. So I said with a fair amount of offense, wow that's a really personal thing to ask!   She shut her trap after that. 

CONGRATS, hope it's an amazing day!

• Options

I can't believe how rude and stupid people are!  I'm in the same situation, my second, his first.    I told some one the third (combined) time is the charm!  Or its our last wedding.   That tends to quiet people quickly.

Congrats on your wedding!  I hope you have a beautiful day. 

• Options
    Good luck and have fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards