Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Trying on dresses that are way too big?

I fell in love with the image of a dress and want to try it on. I foundation retailer about 2 hours away that has it. Problem is I'm between an 8 and 10 for wedding dresses and they only have an 18 in stock. Too top it off, it's the wrong color. One of my friends Sid to still drive and try it on, but I'm petite and nervous the extra fabric will make me feel like a head on a cake even more. Has anyone tried on a ball gown type dress that was way bigger than their use and still felt it depicted the dress correctly? For anyone wonder, this is the dress: http://jacquelinexclusive.com/19850/ (tried to attach it) About me: hourglass shape, 5'1" and 145 lbs mostly in my boobs followed by my butt to a lesser extent. :-) Concern: vanishing in the dress because I'm petite. Thoughts???

Re: Trying on dresses that are way too big?

• Options
    They will cinch you in with clips and you can step up on a pedastil (spelling?) to sort of see what it might look like.  That said, you might still feel like the dress is overpowering you.
  • Options
    All the dresses I tried on were 2-4 sizes too big for me. They cinched me in pretty good for most of them - with industrial clips. Is this the only place that carries the dress near you? Have you tried on any other ballgowns just to see if you like the silhouette on yourself? Don't get stuck on on one dress until you know how you feel in multiple silhouettes. 
  • Options
    Beautiful dress.  I hope you love it.
  • Options
    I've tried on every silhouette and I found two dresses I like. Both are similar to parts of that dress. The next closest place to have the dress is 4 hours away instead of 2 hours. I'm not even sure the place 4 hrs away has it, they are just authorized to sell it. This one has it but in the wrong color and in the largest size it's made.
  • Options
    beautiful wedding dress!
  • Options

I'm a size 2 and tried on a size 16. I knew immediately that I loved it. I'd tried on dresses in smaller sizes that didn't suit me and felt overpowered. This one, despite the vast amounts of extra fabric, suited me perfectly and I bought it the same day. Go ahead and try the oversized dress on. What's the worst that can happen?

• Options
    Try it on anyway. You'll get a good idea, and if anything, if you go with it'll look much better. I also could only find my dress at a plus sized shop, and tried it anyway in the wrong color. The top was huge and had a million clips in the back. But, in the end, I knew it was mine and ordered it. I got it 8 sizes smaller and in white. I picked it up a few weeks ago and it's perfect!
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  
    Terry the dress is attached. That is a stock photo not me.
  • Options
    You're not going to try on a dress in your size, regardless of where you go. They can't possibly stock every style in every size. They'll put clips in the back for you to get the general idea. 

It is hard to get around the color though - I hated all the dresses I tried on that were stark white, even though I knew they wouldn't be the color I would order. It was hard for me to get around a color that wasn't flattering on my skin tone.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I would go give it a try. I got lucky and got to on a simple in my size but it was huge because it was majorly stretched out and it was the wrong color. They clipped it up to fit and I was in love. I looked at another sample in the color I wanted and could envision my dress in that color. It was totally worth it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited November 2013
    The big sample won't be an issue as they can clip you up and the right size will look even better. And if uou know that shape is okay, then you should be good. My sister is 4'11" and wanted a gown with a voluminous bottom and tried on a bunch of different styles until she found one that worked. Some simply overpowered her but in the end she picked a great gown. Also, see if you can order hollow-to-hem measurements or a petite. That will help get the torso proportions correct. My sister's dress, even though it was a petite-00, was still long on the torso. And remember the seamstress can work wonders! Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm a 4 and the dress i tried on that i ended up buying was a size 16.  It was huge on me but they clipped it to make it work and i feel completely in love with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards