Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Question on Videographer contract, re: Model Release, Is this normal?

Met with videographer yesterday and he sent the contract over afterwards. There's a clause that says:

MODEL RELEASE. If signed the contracting party grants XXXXX Films the unrestricted right to copyright, use and publish video/photo of the contracting party for commercial, promotion, competition or other purposes without compensation or liability to the contracting party. 

Is that normal?  I feel weird that they can do anything they want with our videos without getting our approval with this kind of wording.

And is 2-3 months turnaround time normal too?

Thanks!

Re: Question on Videographer contract, re: Model Release, Is this normal?

• edited October 2013
    doh...
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• IzzJonesIzzJones member
    First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    This is NORMAL!  They can do pretty much anything with your video, because they own the copyright.  Also, that isn't a long turnaround.  Good work takes time.
  • Sorry I thought you were talking about photos - reading fail.
    That is not a long turnaround time for video. Video takes a long time to edit properly.
    I chose a videographer that would only use my video for self-promotion of his business. I didn't want to end up in news clips or internet ads of other products.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thanks ladies!

Yes, I wouldn't want to end up on random stuff or other products either.
    I think I will ask him to reword the contract.
    Sorry I thought you were talking about photos - reading fail.
    That is not a long turnaround time for video. Video takes a long time to edit properly.
    I chose a videographer that would only use my video for self-promotion of his business. I didn't want to end up in news clips or internet ads of other products.

• just to close the loop, we got the videographer to reword his contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards