Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Has anyone done this? (Florist related)

So a girl at work told me how she used a Giant Eagle as her florist. She got married in '04 and said the flowers were good quality, lasted all day, and were pretty. I haven't seen pictures of them.

Has anyone (married ladies, I'm talking to you!) used a GE for flowers? I feel like our budget is small, about $700-$800. I would need my bouquet, 5 BM bouquets, 5 GM bouts and parent flowers. We're doing non-floral centerpieces. I've considered DIY, but I'd like that to be a last resort. I don't want anything out of the ordinary or outrageous or a lot of flowers.

If anyone has florist recs, I'll take them. The wedding will be in the South Hills.

Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Has anyone done this? (Florist related)

• edited December 2011
    No advice about GE flowers, but my flowers were around the same price as your budget, so I think finding a florist is definitely doable. I used Blumengarten and had my bouquet, 4 BM, 7 bouts, 2 mom's flowers, 2 alter arrangements, 10 pew decorations, a toss bouquet and petals for the cake as well as delivery to the church and then delivery to the reception. I want to say it was just under $700.

The bouquets weren't huge but I was more concerned with type and color of flower than size.

Vacation

• edited December 2011
    My sister used a community market by our house in 2001. Her flowers were beautiful!

Especially if you are not having floral centerpieces your budget is 100 percent doable! My florist, By George Floral came in way under that without centerpieces, my centerpieces are about $800 total.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I don't know anyone who has done this, but my flower quote from my florist is pretty much the same as your budget and I am having a little bit more than you. I'll send you a PM with more details.

• pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!

dp-I'll look for your PM :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, does anyone think using a GE would be a "bad" idea? Of course I would go take to them first and ask to see pictures.
  • cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no advice, and I don't thing GE is necessarily a bad idea, as long as you could find reviews/pictures to back up the specific location you are trying to get flowers from (like any vendor).

I can commiserate on the "I have a small floral budget" front.  I am a little worried about florist laughing at me when I tell them my budget and what I want for it.  In the end, it's just the thing I cared least about =/
  • edited December 2011
    This whole post is so helpful - I haven't started looking into florists too much yet, but like everyone seems to say it's not an area where I really want to splurge or use up much of the budget.

dp & jl - Could you also send me a message with your florists?

Thanks girls!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    MD- This is why I love my florist! He didn't want to know my budget at all. He just wanted to list everything I wanted, talk to his supplier and price it out. If it was over budget, then we would start cutting and rethinking. I really liked that, and he came in only $100 over my budget! :)
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MD, I'm with you. I want pretty flowers, but in the end I just don't care that much.
  • edited December 2011
    What about doing it online? I think the most recent knot magazine had an article about flower distributors that make up corsages, bouquets, et cetera and send them via FedEx/UPS. I wasn't able to find the article online, but an example is here: http://weddingflowersofamerica.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21&zenid=d780aaa7bd56558be8d3112fc539323c The prices include 8 bouquets and I bet you could alter the order to fit your needs. Otherwise, I've heard CostCo is also a good place to go for flowers on the cheap.
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    i spent 900 for all of that + centerpieces
  • allisonkbyeallisonkbye member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister n law, and her sister n law both used our local GE for flowers and LOVED them and said they blew everyones prices out of the water. This is in Indiana - I think a lot of it has not so much to do with GE but the florist that works there. She's been there for at least 9 years (when my sister n law got married). I made an appointment to meet with her and my wedding party is the same size as yours so i'll let you know how it goes! 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_anyone-done-this-florist-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:ea4cff2c-acb3-4c2f-8960-f71d5011a575Post:e7de6e65-36b4-4e44-9bf8-8cc6a110344a">Re: Has anyone done this? (Florist related)</a>:
    [QUOTE]i spent 900 for all of that + centerpieces
    Posted by carcrashheart[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. I think I just don't have a good grasp on what wedding flowers cost...
  • carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    florists can range drastically, so it's key to keep looking if you haven't gotten a quote within your budget. i had one florist quote me over 3k for what i was asking for, i had another quote me 1k for the same thing. stick to your guns if you get a quote that you don't like. i walked away from the first florist, but not before she tried to convince me (rudely) to nix the linens from what i wanted so that i could spend the entire budget on flowers & CP's. needless to say, i didn't work with her.
  • edited December 2011
    Panther -- YGPM!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Shop'n'Save in South Fayette has a really good floral shop and many of my friends used them.   It's in your area, and they have tons of books full of pictures of what they can create. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards