Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Less extravagant reception sites/venues?

Hi all,

I'm planning a wedding for fall 2010 in the pittsburgh area, preferably east of town in Monroeville, Greensburg, or adjacent towns, or in downtown Pittsburgh itself. I'm looking for an affordable venue that's cooler and more interesting than a fire hall or a room at the Holiday Inn, yet one that's not super pricey, like the Carnegie Museums, Twentieth Century Club, etc. I'm hoping to find a place for about $60 per plate (or less) and $1-$2k for facility rental. Any suggestions? 

Thanks so much!!

Re: Less extravagant reception sites/venues?

• edited December 2011
    Have you checked out Riverside Landing in Oakmont yet? It's a beautiful venue and I love the deck that overlooks the river!

image.
    BabyName Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure there are quite a few restaurants in town where you could have your reception for that price, that are very nice.  LeMonte on Mount Washington has a great view, or the Grand Concourse is beautiful inside. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    The Grand Concourse, when I booked it for my reception in 2008, was just within those prices.  I'm not sure if they are still within those prices though, but it doesn't hurt to contact them.  They charge per plate and have no facility rental fee.
  • edited December 2011
    The National Aviary, the Pittsburgh Zoo both fit your criteria.
    You can also rent the Kelly Strayhorn Theater in East Liberty. The space is pretty cool.
    How many people?
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I paid $1500 to rent Heinz Field and my meal was $30 per person, so that might be an option for you.

I did want to offer the advice that, if you want to get married this fall, you need to move very quickly. The less expensive venues usually fill up first.

Are you willing to go into November or December to get a date? I know October is a very popular month now.

Check out my planning bio for a list of places I found to be affordable.

HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in August at the Pittsburgh Athletic Association in Oakland.  It is a beautiful historic building right across from the Cathedral of Learning.  The rental for just a reception is $800, more if you want to do the ceremony there too since you'd be using both of their ballrooms.  The dinners are $30-40 each, and they have an unlimited bar package for about $30/person, or you can do consumption-based.  Let me know if you want any info!

Julia
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    218 invited image 137 accepted image 81 declined image 0 haven't said image
    RSVP Date 7/30/2010
  • yrteemsyrteems member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, all, for the advice! We're thinking between 150-200 people. I'm also looking into university facilities -- especially ones more toward Monroeville and Greensburg, which are closer to home. Thanks a
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't been on this board in months but wanted to make a suggestion for you...

Take a look at Pluma Restaurant in Irwin, that's where I had my reception.  There are pictures on my wedding web page, if you want to see.  We had about 150 guests and I think it was around $20 per person, not including alcohol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards