Attire & Accessories Forum

How soon is too soon?

I fell madly in love with a dress (Cosette by Maggie Sottero) and have been drooling over a picture of it for months. A few weeks ago, I happened to walk by a bridal salon on my lunch hour and lo and behold, that dress was in the window. I tried it on and it looked amazing.

My concern is that my wedding isn't until September 2015. Is it too soon to order the dress now? I keep hearing horror stories about dress regret, but every time I try on another dress, my mind keeps going back to that one. I should also note that I have desperately been trying to find a black dress (or white with black on it) but my city isn't exactly the most fashion-forward, so there is little hope of my finding something black.

What do y'all think?

Re: How soon is too soon?

• If you get it, you need to completely stop looking at any other dresses. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I had dress regret....times three. (Our wedding is in June 2014, and I started dress shopping in May of 2013)

I ended up buying THREE dresses! First one was based on price, it wasn't the dress I wanted, but it was cheap. Thank GOD the store let me return it no questions asked...which was amazing! The second time around I ordered the dress I loved but when it came in to was made wrong. They sent in for a new one and the second one was also made wrong. So they also refunded my money. I then settled for a mediocre dress. It was okay, but it made my fat stick out in all the wrong places (the bridal shops fix was there's Spanx for that!...HA! I did not want to have to be super uncomfortable in Spanx for my whole wedding day!) So, one day (recently) I called the store who sold me the dress that was made wrong and they ordered one in and it was PERFECT!!! So I bought it not knowing what I would do with the other dress I already had. Again, a thank God situation, the store let me return it for in store credit which I am going to use to get my accessories and maybe a rehearsal dress, so it works out!

My advice....do NOT buy a dress until you are SURE it is the one! I ended up SUPER lucky and now have the dress I love! I did however say "Yes" to the bridesmaids dresses back in May and ABSOLUTELY LOVE them!!!! No second guessing that one!
  • i started looking back in 11 when i got engaged but that was years away from my 2014 wedding. i knew styles would change. i did visit only 3 stores one was a samples only store with older samples in plus. the second store was a regular store and had tons of plus sizes but i needed to get a few designers out of my head so i went to the third place tried on some dresses they had plus not not a whole lot of sizes for me to try on.  i kept going back to the other dress and i purchased it 
  • I think it's too soon, but to each his own. 
  • I think a dress like that has a much more classic look, so it probably would not matter as much if it were to be bought a little sooner. But then again, what if a few years down the year, you don't like that dress as much? So really, it's up to you entirely.
  •  I don't think it's necessarily too soon to purchase your dress, but I do agree, that once you purchase it, that you *need* to stop looking! By the sounds of it, you're pretty set on the dress you've found! I purchased my dress about a year before my wedding, and had no regrets at any point in time, whatsoever! I loved it the second I tried it on, throughout fittings before the wedding day, and to this day I'm happy that's the dress I went with! :)

Is there any way of adding black to the dress? Maybe with a sash, adding in some beading, etc? Are you going to regret not purchasing a black dress? A few things to potentially take into consideration before making your final decision/purchase! :)

Good luck!

*J
  • I think it's too soon. Ask some questions at the bridal salon and maybe even call the manufacturer to get a feel for if the style is going to be discontinued soon.

Is that the only dress you've tried on? If so I think you should do a shopping trip and try on other styles. Do a fit and flare, an a-line, etc and see if there's a style you surprisingly like. Lots of brides have something in mind but end up loving something they didn't expect. Take your time.
    *********************************************************************************

• I found "the dress" not long after getting engaged, looked around for others and always went back to the first one. But so glad I tried on others as some that I would probably not have considered from pictures ended up making the short list. Also if you wait and that dress is discontinued, you can always get a dress maker to make it.
  • OP, how many bridal salons have you visited? 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • @yellowdaisies84 I've been to three so far and a few more with my friends for their weddings (I'm in two wedding parties right now), so I looked in two or three other stores as well.

Thank you, everyone, for the advice! It is helpful to hear others' opinions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards