Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Wedding Dates

Hey Pgh brides, I need some help!  =)  My fiance proposed almost a year ago, but we are just now starting to talk about the wedding and nail down some details.  So here's my problem...how on earth do you chose a wedding date?!  There's so much to consider, things are cheaper in February...but he proposed in August, on my birthday.  His favorite month/holiday is October/Halloween and mine is December/Christmas.  And of course, being in Pittsburgh, we celebrate all four seasons, so is weather an issue?!  Ahh, I don't think I'm supposed to be this stressed this early ladies!  lol

Re: Wedding Dates

• Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours ended up being more of a matter of practical convenience, I suppose.  It had to work around my school/work schedule, and around times that he'll actually be here instead of off doing Army-related things.  It ended up being a Saturday in February, which is the weekend before my Spring Break, which works fine for me and gives us some time to take a (short) honeymoon.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we were kind of in the same situation. we didn't have an anniversary so to speak, so planning it on an anniversary date was out.

it may seem weird, but in an effort to try to narrow things down just so that it would make it seem less daunting to pick one day out of 365 i marked the week every month that i would have my period (quite the assumption, but hey, it was all i had to work with). i crossed that week out and the week before, since i didn't want to bother with being on our HM and having my period. i know you can mess with your periods, and i think i attempted to do so a few months prior to the wedding, but my body is so out of whack that when i mess with it in the slightest it goes batsh!t crazy.

anyways, once i did that, it at least gave me some direction. one morning i was thinking about wedding colors and a date and realized that new years day was a friday and the date would be 1.1.10 (not as fun as 1.1.11, but i said no when DH suggested we wait one more year). the rest was history.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For me, I knew I wanted to get married in the spring but I had no particular date in mind. I knew, however, that I didn't want April b/c it can still be fairly cold in Pgh in April so that left May and June... I talked to my important family memebers to see who was graduating HS on which dates and worked around those dates... Basically what ultimately narrowed it down for me was the venue. Once we picked the venue, they only had two weekends in May left for the entire spring of 2011 (this was in the fall/winter of LAST YEAR - '09 - so I was very surprised b/c I thought I was early!) and one of those didn't work so we went with May 28!
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We still haven't set an exact date, but we like Spring and our Anniversary is in April, so we will probably do April.  May and June get busy for weddings (as gmc mentioned!) and there are a few college graduations in May around Pittsburgh.  A few venues also do discounts in April, so that helped with the decision too.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
      Just go with what you like..  Think about the season you like best, and the colors you like best, and what is easiest for you.  DH and I are both teachers so a summer wedding was an easy pick so we would have time off to plan, go on our honeymoon, etc.  I wanted to get married in July (just because DH and I both have birthdays in July and it seemed nice to put everythign in July), but he said he always wanted to be married in June.  I was fine with that and am actually glad we did it earlier in the summer.  Our colors were blue and silver and blue hydrangeas are a summer flower so that helped too.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is there a certain flower or colors that you love? I really wanted tulips, so a spring wedding was for me. Since our venue was in Oakland, I checked to see when Pitt and CMU graduations are for 2011, and May 7 was before the graduations. I would have gone into April if necessary, but I liked May better. No real reason.

HTH
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love fall and in particular October is my favorite month. My favorite number is 17 and it just so happened that October 17 was a Saturday last year, so that's how we ended up with our date.

It also worked out time-wise, we ended up being engaged for 13 1/2 months which was perfect for us. I might have changed my mind if I wanted a longer or shorter engagement.

Vacation

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know my wedding is still way off, but I sat down with my mom and planned her weekends off for the next few years.  I am a teacher searching for a job, so summer would be the best time for me to get married, and I have always wanted to get married in June, so that left me with two dates.  The earlier date was in the middle of my family's summer birthdays (g-ma 8th, uncle 10th, and brother 15th) so I went with the later (June 22, 2013) date.  Now, I'm just waiting to hear back from the chapel before I start anything else.
    My Bio
    Derp Engagement Photo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like others, we looked at our own schedules.  My DH is a teacher, so I knew we wanted to get married in the summer when he was off and we could go on a HM after our wedding.  You might want to consider your work schedule and your FI's...is the end of the calendar year or fiscal year a busy time for you?  Do you need to avoid tax season?  No need to add more stress to your life!

My BFF's sister got married over the 4th of July weekend when we were in college and I always thought that was nice...they had a whole weekend celebration.  July 5th was a Saturday (well, 2 years ago now!) and it was available with both our church and reception location.  Other factors:  we had a large guest list (many OOT people) and didn't mind that more people would most likely decline a holiday weekend wedding.  And, selfishly...I'll always have a long weekend around our anniversary if we wanted to go away for it.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we originally had ours set for next november 5 - we both love the fall and i love halloween, but we have too many october birthdays to work around, and september is still really warm lol so we went with november.

then, we started getting really impatient and moved it up six months. if you're planning to get married in a catholic church, be advised that they don't celebrate wedding masses during lent, so the first eligible date you'd have would be the week after easter if you're planning for march or april. just an fyi, because we ran into that problem when we moved the date up. it's may 21 right now! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A little late to the post but, I always knew I wanted a fall wedding, because of its weather.  I'm not crazy about the colors of fall, but love the weather.  DF works for the Pirates, so we knew that we would have to wait till the end of baseball season, and my work schedule is really busy May-July. 

Really, it came down to the availability of the church and guessing the date of my brother/GM's homecoming football game would be.  He is a senior in HS and plays on the team. We lucked out all around, as his football game is on a Thursday the week of the wedding and it is not homecoming!

GL!  Keep us posted :)
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well all of my family is from out of town...back when I had my Bat Mitzvah in November 1997, there was a FREAK blizzard, and people had difficulty making it to Pgh.  Also, my bday is in January and i was BORN during a blizzard...since it seems blizzards like to follow my major life events, I knew I needed to have a wedding in a month where there was NO CHANCE of snow!  I wanted Memorial Day weekend, but places were all booked over a year in advance, so we chose the following weekend, June 5, 2011. 

If you have a significant number of people who would need to travel, definetely avoid winter...it's just not worth risking it to have all these special people not be able to make it on your big day.  If you want an outdoor wedding, remember that April is usually rainy.  July can be really hot. 

If you are major sports fans, avoid weekend that have playoffs or major games. 
    Lastly, make sure it's not a big holiday for people of other faiths if there are people of those faiths you will be invited to your wedding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards