Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Haircolor question

I've never colored my hair at home, so please excuse my stupidity. I want to tone down the highlights my stylist did last time a little, without paying huge money to go back to him for this.  If I put a semi-permanent hair color on my hair that is just slightly darker than my highlightst, it will just darken the highlighted part right?  It won't turn my whole head the light color right??? 

August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
Anniversary

Re: Haircolor question

• CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You are putting color on your entire hair so whatever color you choose will turn your hair that color including the hightlights. 

image Ivory
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Semi permanent doesn't last very long either, especially if you wash your hair everyday, it may last up to 3 weeks and it will slowly fade out.  You may want to try permanent.  Or if you are unsure, best bet is to go to your salon and let him do it.  Dying your hair at home can be disastrous - especially if you haven't done it before.
    image Ivory
  • edited December 2011
    again, please fogive my stupidity - how does the darker hair color take on the lighter dye from the box??  That is the part that doesnt make sense to me.  Hmmm perhaps I best go back, but I am el cheapo these days.
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    What about trying a beauty academy?  There is one on McKnight road.  If you are doing a full head color, it would just be the price of the color.

I had a bad experience with the girl cutting my hair, but she was very timid and didn't have a lot of experience with layered short hair (or this was how I justified the situation). 

Someone on here has a friend who works/goes to school there.  Perhaps she can give you her name.  It wouldn't cost you that much and there is supervision by professionals.
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    Oh I would try that!  I only have highlights on half of my head (that's why I want to tone them down, I only wanted highlights in a "sunkissed" fashion and think I look to stripey right now.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Bri, Heather(26summer)  is the one who has a friend that works there.
    I would ask for her friends name!
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

First Comment
    edited December 2011

your dark hair will now be lighter!!  My suggestion is to see a professional and maybe get some lowlights to "tone" down your hightlights.  My hair is naturally red and over the summer my girl put lots of blonde highlights in and it was a bit much for me...so the next time I went in she put some brownish/red lowlights in to tone down the blonde instead of having to color my whole head over and put in new hightlights in, plus it was cheaper.  In my non-professional opinion, I wouldn't do the box if you are unsure, it could turn out really badly! 

image Ivory
  • elishanbelishanb member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't feel "stupid" for not knowing everything about hair color. :) Some people have worked a long time to know what they know about hair color. I've given my opinions before on beauty schools" sometimes you can totally get the right person and sometimes the wrong, but I think it goes that way with everything.

I always recommend going to a professional. Going with a box color at home gives way to a lot of of possible problems. The developers that "box colors" use can be quite harsh and damaging. Semi is usually safer. And when you put a light semi on a a darker color it will not lift the darker to make it lighter. That much I will say.

But going to a professional is always safer. :)
    image.
  • jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

when my stylist highlights my hair he tends to make it chunkier than i prefer it. i have him go back and do it a bit finer so that it isnt camoflauged but it isnt chunky, just sun kissed. something to consider or to keep in mind when you have them done next time.

if you dye your whole head it will darken the highlights, but it will also darken what hasn't been highlighted.

• edited December 2011
    When I get my hair colored, I get a darker color all over and they pull out my current highlights into foil and fix the roots, keeping them protected from the darker all over color. After my all over color is done, my stylist uses a "toner" all over my head and it makes the highlights darker more blended into the rest of my hair. Not sure if they sell something like that in regular stores though. I wouldn't attempt color correction at home, seems pretty risky! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards