Attire & Accessories Forum

XP: First dress shopping trip

I'm going dress shopping for the first time with one of my best friends, who is visiting from Australia, next week.  I'm psyched even though it's probably too early to actually buy the dress, so this is really the very first "just looking" kind of situation.  We're going quite early in the process because she only visits once a year.

What should I know before I go?  Should I feel bad about not intending to walk out with a dress the same day?  For anybody who is married or already found their dress, did it take you a lot of visits or did you find The One right away?  I'm not even sure what kind of store to start with: I live in the NYC area, so the world is pretty much my oyster, but it's a little overwhelming.  I was thinking to start at DB, but I've heard about a lot of negative experiences on these boards.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: XP: First dress shopping trip

• @JCBride2014

I commented on your other post but I will comment on this one too. Lol.

1. Don't let the dress size get to you. Expect to be at least 2 sizes bigger than your street size. If you're a street size 10 you might be a 14 or 16 depending on the style / designer of the dress.

2. Do not feel bad about not intending to buy BUT be open. I bought my dress over a year out. I am waiting to get it altered though. 

3. I went to one store but it was the 4th or 5th dress I tried on. I knew it was the one but tried on a couple after just for fun. 

4. I got my dress from DB. I loved my experience there. I think it depends on who you have for a consultant.
  • I have had bad experiences with DB when I was a bridesmaid but a lot of people have a fine time with them. I went to a local little shop, not a chain. 
    I wouldn't feel bad about not intending to buy one, BUT you might surprise yourself and buy one if it's the one. I had a particular style in mind and after trying on a few like that I knew it just wasn't going to work/look good on me. So I tried on a wild card that my MOH pulled and we both started crying and saying yup this is it!!! There's  no way I was going to keep looking, so I bought it on the spot. Also, it's taking 6 months for the designer to make so it might not be too early for you to order because some can take up to a year to make! 
    Have fun! 

• hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2013
    start with some smaller bridal salons no chain stores thats what i did. figure out your bridal size by adding 2 sizes to your normal size.

call up as many bridal salons in nyc area long island area that have stuff you can try on
     rk bridal and klienfields have sizes 0-30 so those would be places i would def check out.

i went to 4 places one was a bridal consignment older gowns in plus sizes nothing fit right in my bridal size which was odd.
    '
    second place was db lady did not get my vision dress i thought i loved on the pictures was so heavy when i tried it on. none of the other dresses were in stores. consultant was rushing me and paying attention to other brides. i told her it was a summer wedding late June and she insisted i would need one of those underskirts on my dress or the dress would look frumpy .

3rd place was a small bridal shop with lots of options  i wanted to see another designer so i slept on 2 dresses.

last place sizes were mixed on the racks plus size samples were on the smaller side 16s 18s they had nothing i was looking for. so i went back to the 3rd salon and purchased one of the dresses i slept on
  • I went twice and tried on about 20 dresses total. I only went to DB. Honestly, I think that's a good place to start at the very least to figure out some styles that you love or hate. They do tend to carry many styles in many sizes, so you will probably be able to try something near your actual size. And if you end up loving a particular dress, even better. I am in NJ too and I hated the DB in Paramus but had a great experience at the one in Totowa.

• Don't feel bad at all about not intending to walk away with a dress. A wedding dress is a big purchase for most brides, not just in terms of budget (which may or may not be a big deal to some brides), but also in terms of the importance most people place on the garment. We all have to start somewhere! The other reason you shouldn't feel bad about not planning to make a purchase is because who knows, you may find a dress you love and come back to it when you are ready to buy.

My first appointment was at DB, and it was horrible and gave me a negative outlook on finding my dress. On the flip side, my friend went there and was very happy. It depends on which store you visit and your consultant. If you go there, it wouldn't hurt to ask if they can pair you with one of their best consultants. I'm sure they know which of their associates is best at his/her job. 

So far, I've visited two bridal shops and tried on about 15-20 dresses. I think I found my dress at the second, but will probably try one more shop in hopes of finding something in a price point I feel more comfortable with. 

My two biggest pointers are to communicate with your consultant. Be sure to be honest and tell her your price point, likes and dislikes, and a little about your wedding. Secondly, let the consultant pick one or two "wild card" dresses. They're the professionals, and even if you don't think you like a particular style and they bring if as their wild card, give it a try. You may end up loving it! (This happened to me.)

• Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!  I'm still trying to decide exactly where to start.  I'm leaning towards Nordstrom bridal suite because they seem to have a pretty good range, vs. DB just to try, vs. a small independent bridal salon.  They all have plenty of appointments available next week so I think I have a day or two to figure it out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I had no intentions of buying my first time looking, I'm not the type that can pick that easily.  I went to David's first, because even though I've heard not all great things, I figure it was worth the look.  I found a dress I liked and considered buying.  The salespeople weren't all that helpful - working with another girl and didn't really offer advice or suggestions, but it was good to try a bunch of different things on.  My second trip was to a smaller bridal boutique and the person helping me there was much more helpful.   After a few dresses she clearly knew what I liked/didn't like and pulled a dress that I loved.  Bring pictures with you.  David's provided a bra and shoes but the boutique didn't so wear a strapless or appropriate bra and undies you feel comfy being seen in! 
  • I am a worrier, so my future MIL said dont even worry about buying we are just going to look!  We went on black Friday.  She said WE ARE NOT BUYING TODAY!  I walked into my appointment to look around, and having no idea what I wanted the lady who was tending to me just brought out dresses in my style (mermaid).  The first one she brought out was one that I had been looking at in magazines.  I tried it on it was way tooo Small, and looked very odd on me. Both my Future MIL and SIL werent thrilled.  My MOH loved it.  I tried on 3 or 4 more after that,  there was a flowier one that i absolutely fell in love with, then tried on the first one again 3 sizes bigger, expecting it to be too big.   YEAH RIGHT!  It fit beautifully.  I was at a cross roads. 
    Needless to say after all was said and done, I purchased my dress that day.  Btw my wedding at that point was just about a year away.    I completely agree with Jenni1221, wear undies you are comfortable in.... unfortunately I opted to wear black boy shorts that were showing right through almost every dress I tried on lol.  (the trials of a first time dress shopper lol) 

BE HONEST with your attendant.  If you dont like something you dont like it.  My attendant put me in this frilly, layered dress that while very pretty was totally not my style nor did it compliment my body at all (i have a small case of stringbean, no curves, not nothing :-(  )  it ended up looking like a nightgown.  I had to nicely tell her no this isnt my style, but as soon as i communicated that to her she got gowns that were more me.  Dont just go along with everything, if you dont like something politely tell them.  In addition to that of course I fell in love with a dress that was way out of my price range, and she was able to direct me away from that right away so I didnt go on to try it on and ultimately not be able to get it.

keep an open mind, and HAVE FUN!  That is the most important part.  Its a fun experience, dont stress, because like me, you have time!!!  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards