Chit Chat
Options

Have you seen this show on tv? Secret Wedding

So I'm watching this on TLC (of course) and this girl has a 10k budget so she thinks they're shooting a documentary about budget weddings. So she's showing them the venue and they tape her meeting with the caterer and trying on dresses and DIYing centerpieces. During this whole planning process, her fiance, best friend, and mom are taking notes to what she really wants but can't afford and apparently the show is going to surprise her the day of and upgrade to everything on her wishlist. 
I don't know about you guys but I'd be kind of pissed to be honest. If I spent months planning and making centerpieces and they weren't used...if I found a budget dress that I loved and was all excited about and they handed me some expensive designer dress to wear... I understand that most people would be stoked about it, but I would feel like my day was hijacked. 
(not to mention she acts like her 10k is so measly but it's more than my budget lol) 

Re: Have you seen this show on tv? Secret Wedding

• Options
    I've got it on in the background.  Not sure how I feel about it yet.  I'm sure she'll be happy, but I'd be more pissed that everyone (especially DH) lied to me.  We take honesty with each other very seriously, though knowing he wanted to do something special for me would make it slightly better.  

• Options
    One of my grade school classmates was one of the first brides featured!  Such a sweet girl and I'm sure nobody deserved it more.  I don't have cable so I haven't actually seen the show.

If they really were taking notes on what I wanted and it turned out to be the vision I had all along, I'd just be stoked at the surprise.  But I love surprises.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I agree with the OP, I think I'd be kind of pissed if all my hard work went to waste.  There are some very crafty and creative people out there who do lovely DIY work.

I also think the budget depends on the area where you're getting married.  My state is one of the top 5 most expensive in the US for a wedding (average is over 40k), so a 10k budget would be very tight here, but elsewhere you could probably do a lot with it.
  • Options
    I hate surprises and I'd be mad if all my crafty work went to waste. My first sentence would probably be "You'd better help me sell all this shit, then," as I held my centerpieces.
  • Options
    I don't think I would be pissed at all as long as they nailed it.  I have never seen the show but are any family members in on this or does the show just surprise the bride?  If my family were in on it and made my fantasy wedding come true I'd be tickled pink.  Both of my weddings were about as far from my dream wedding as you can get.

It would also give me the opportunity to pay it forward by giving all my stuff to a bride on a budget who could really use it.

Now...if they didn't nail it and I hated it, I would be heartbroken.
  • Options
    I thought the show was lame and changed channels. 

I wouldn't be pissed. Either way, you're working hard for an end result. The planning and stress would happen regardless. Of course, it'd be lessened with a frivolous budget, but it'd still be there. 
  • Options
    Yea it wasn't so bad in the end. The friends and mom did a good job figuring out flowers and stuff that the bride liked so it was more of stuff she loved. I thought it was just going to be this Hollywood "professional" picking out all the stuff but it was mostly stuff the bride picked out bur just couldn't afford so that made it better but I'd still be a little mad cuz I hate surprises. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd be pissed.  
  • Options
    I watched it Friday. When it was revealed to the bride the surprise, she did not look enthusiastic at first. I would be frustrated that my FI watched me do all this work and get upset over catering when he knew all along and just let me get worked up. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Options
    Yeah...that might very well be a relationship ender for me. Just seems deceitful and controlling, and I would wonder what kind of a person I was really marrying.
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    I think most brides would appreciate the thought behind it... But couldn't you tell me BEFORE I spent months doing all the work and budgeting and DIYing and everything else?? Like "surprise you actually get 30k!! Have fun!!" I agree with PP who said she would be more upset with FI for standing by and watching all the stress and planning unfold, all while knowing it wouldn't really matter in the end. It's a generous idea and maybe some brides would love it, but I think part of what I am most looking forward to is doing the work and seeing it all come together on my big day. Some upgrades might be nice, but are they paying the bride back for all money spent before the upgrades??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It has its pros and cons, and I can see some brides loving it and some not.  I have hated the planning, so to see that all my planning was for naught because someone else was planning something entirely different, I would be pissed.  Warn me in advance in that case, so I can just let someone else plan for me!  I thought that it would just make the wedding look like something the wedding industry used for promotion, but that Delorean as a get-away car was not your average vehicle.  A lot of the other stuff was sort of making the wedding look more traditional, like the bouquets, and even the dress. 

• Options
    Not a fan of surprises. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards