Wisconsin

Receiving Line Alternatives?

Does anyone out there have any alternative ideas to a receiving line?  I understand the point of them, but it was one piece that I always said I did not want in my own wedding.  I have stood in my fair share of lines and I think they are awkward (especially for those who may not even know the bride and groom well, or more particular the parents and such), sometimes the line moves soooo slow if people chat too much, etc.  I'm trying to think of a better, creative way to be able to have a quick moment to chat with everyone.  Did anyone do anything different or have any suggestions?Thanks! 

Re: Receiving Line Alternatives?

• edited December 2011
    You and the groom could always go table to table at the reception.  We are considering doing that.  My only concern/piece of advise is to make sure you hit every table.  They did this at my cousin's wedding and they had such a large wedding they did not make it to every table.  Although it was not intentional, it came across as rude/awkward that they did not come by our table or acknowledge the family members who came quite a distance to be at their wedding.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We were done eating before most of the guests. We made our way around to the tables and talked to almost everyone during this time and while they served desert.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    After DH and I walked down the aisle and the bridal party joined us in the back of the church, DH and I walked back into the church. We went to the front of the church and dismissed each table out of their pews with hugs and very brief "congrats and stuff". The rest of the church waited, seated, until we got to their pew and dismissed them.It worked well because everyone was seated while waiting and we controlled how quickly we moved towards the back of the church. There was very minimal conversation because the rest of the church was there looking at them.The minister suggested this and we ended up seeing it again at another wedding. As a guest, I also thought it was much less awkward than a receiving line.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MidniteSun383MidniteSun383 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What we are doing is having just the parents and FI and I at the entrance of the reception (my parent's house).  We'll show everyone which way to go and there will be wine and water there right away.  That way we don't have to worry about not getting to eat dinner, etc.  But everyone will be arriving a busload at a time, rather than all at once.
  • DanicaDanica member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another alternative if you are having a cocktail hour at all is to position yourselves in a central area of the room and have people come to you.  You can list on your program "We will greet guests at the cocktail hour" or whatever.  It works out well and is more casual and laid back than a formal receiving line with the parents, bridal party and stuff.
  • toniinzeotoniinzeo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going to do the table to table thing. You pick the seating arrangement, so maybe make a game plan of the tables you MUST hit...older relatives, people who came from out of town...parents friends...etc...younger relatives, friends, people who will stick around all night to have fun with you guys...you can say your hellos on the dance floor...or grabbing a drink, or when you can. They will understand...just make sure to hit the tables who might be leaving after dinner, or who would be bummed not to get to talk to you guys!
  • pengee1pengee1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for your responses!  I was just at a wedding a few weeks ago where the bride and groom came back into the church and ushered everyone out row by row.  In all the weddings I have been to, that was the first time I had seen that.  I think that is the route we are going to go as that would be a sure way I know that we don't miss anyone.  We are doing an outdoor wedding, but it can still work in that fashion. But please, if anyone else has a response, I would love to keep hearing ideas!Thanks again! 
  • edited December 2011
    DH and I went back into the church and ushered everyone out pew by pew.  It worked really well because it kept conversation to a minimum and the rest of the bridal party wasn't stuck in an awkward situation.
    On September 8th 2007, I married my best friend. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad you posted this!  I too was wondering about receiving line alternatives.  Thanks!  :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards