Wisconsin

Looking for a grill master for "welcome barbecue" (rehearsal dinner alternative)

So we have exactly 2 in town guests (my parents) for our Milwaukee wedding and so we wanted to be able to be very inclusive for our events for the weekend. We also didn't want to break the bank on a fancy rehearsal dinner, so we decided to throw a "Welcome Barbecue" in a park the day before our wedding (we're getting married Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.) The idea is to have a traditional Wisconsin barbecue, have people get to know each other, play outdoor games, etc. And we wanted to bring in most of our own food and beverages to be able to afford to have all 200 guests invited. Problem is, we really don't want to ask our family or friends to tend the barbecue and deal with coolers and ice and refilling bowls and stuff. I thought it would be easy to find someone "a la carte" who would just come and work with what we provided them, but everyone wants you to buy their food and such as well. Does anyone have any creative suggestions? I didn't grow up in Milwaukee, so I don't have a big network there. Thanks!

Re: Looking for a grill master for "welcome barbecue" (rehearsal dinner alternative)

• lindseyanne1lindseyanne1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try craigslist, you could post a wanted ad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MidniteSun383MidniteSun383 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do your parents' neighbors have college-age kids? You could ask the rec department at the park that you pick-typically the rec dept has a large number of high school and college kids that they hire for the summer, one could do it on their day off. Anyone frpm the church? You could ask your caterer for a suggestion-again maybe one of the people they hire for cooking or serving could do it under the table.
  • edited December 2011
    What about a pig roast? Otherwise, brats are easy if you grill them earlier in the day, and then boil them in beer. You can keep them warm in Nesco ovens! Burgers too, but a little more difficult, especially if you want cheese burgers (too gooey and sticky) Not sure how $$ famous dave's would be either... might be worth checking into!
  • gilbanegirlgilbanegirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are actually having a pig roast as our reception.  We are using Maple Creek Farms in Waukesha to do the pig roast.  They have an ala carte menu and allow you to bring any items you wish.  So far they have been great to work with and the food is wonderful!
  • madcrystal22madcrystal22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Gilbanegirl-

Do you have any pricing info on the pig roast thing?  Are you having them do it for you?  Just wondering (and too lazy to call them right now).

Thanks!
    Crystal
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards