Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

How do you ship a wedding dress?

We're planning our Salt Lake City wedding from Washington, D.C. but I bought my dress in my hometown in California. The dress is supposed to arrive in California and I was thinking I should ship it to myself in DC to get all tailoring done so I don't have to fly out to California several times on top of flying out to Salt Lake for all the wedding plans.  Does anyone know how to ship a wedding dress?  It's a strapless modified A-line so it's not exactly the lightest or smallest dress in the shop!  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: How do you ship a wedding dress?

• Options
    Maybe you should talk to the salon and see if they can arrange shipping for you?
  • Options
    I would talk to the Salon and get them to ship it to you.  If the dress has not come in, they may even be able to re-route it directly to you instead of having it stop at the Salon first (unless you have a balance on your account).

The other options would be to go out to California if you have any additional things to take care of there and fly back with it.  You would want to verify that the plane(s) you're flying on have closets and also have a backup plan in case there are others traveling with items they want to put in the closet too.

If YOU are shipping your dress, make sure you wrap a generous amount of tissue paper or bubble wrap around any crystal/beaded embellishments on your dress to prevent snags.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendations!  I'll talk to the salon and see if they have any ideas or if I can easily fly it back with me.
  • Options
    If you do have to fly back with it, check with the airlines before you book.  I asked United about a year ago if they hold wedding dresses in the closet and they said not anymore because the bars always broke in the closet.  Who knows, it may just depend on the mood of your flight attendants!
  • Options
    I helped a friend last year pack her dress in a garment bag to bring as a carry-on to her destination wedding.
  • Options
    I bought a one way first class ticket to take my dress on the plane to make sure they wouldn't force me to shove it into the overhead compartment or something (coach on the way home). If I didn't fly with it, my salon would have mailed it insured over night. Any decent salon would be happy to do this for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards