Wedding Woes

TX vs. VA

Dear Prudie,
My fiancée and I are getting married in October of this year. Both of us were raised in families that moved constantly, hers with the military, and mine with the federal government. We have great relationships with both sides of our family, which since we were college have begun to settle down in Virginia. My fiancée has nieces and nephews being born and while we don’t envision children for ourselves in the near future, we do plan on taking that step at some point. Two years ago, after my fiancée finished college, we moved from Virginia to Texas. Life in Texas has been good. I have a job that offers potential for advancement and my fiancée has a job that is giving her awesome experience in her field. There are fewer opportunities in the part of Virginia we want to move back to than here in Texas, but we miss our families and love the idea of starting our married life with the large, rooted family neither of us ever had. What should we do?

—Gone to Texas

Re: TX vs. VA

• Maybe Common Core needs to start teaching how to create a pros and cons and see how the whole balance sheet works out.

Or just move to Guam. Or Portlandia.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I vote move out of Bibleville entirely.
  • I say stay for two years and move back once you have kids.
  • It's ultimately a question of what is best for the couple, and any future children. 

We made the decision to move to Texas because it was a great step for my career, and there was a lot of potential for DK's career as well.

Sure it would be nice to have family closer, at times, but there's also negatives that come with it. (expectations, and subsequent guilt trips - it makes saying "no" much easier when you live 1500+ miles away). 
  • Maybe Common Core needs to start teaching how to create a pros and cons and see how the whole balance sheet works out. 
    I love this answer so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards