Chit Chat

At first I was surprised to see all these posts about not addressing invites properly...

But now I'm starting to see a general trend in not bothering to learn peoples' names ever--even the people you see several times a week!

Here's another example of just one of the many, many times this happens throughout the school year while my office door is open for office hours. Keep in mind that I teach at a university. These are students who are old enough to vote, hold down jobs, and do lots of other responsible things. I mean, it's possible that there are a bunch of profs who just aren't putting their names or their office numbers on the syllabus, or not introducing themselves to their classes...or that the registrar is flaking on adding instructors' names to the online schedule...but the interaction below happens quite a bit!

Student: Hi, I'm looking for my teacher. Do you know where he is? He's got, like reddish hair and a beard... (makes gestures to demonstrate length and shape of beard).

Me: Um, do you know his name?

Student: I think it's, like, Jeremy, or Jeffery, or something.

Me: So you don't know your teacher's name? Not even his last name?

Student: No...

Me: I would go look up his name and office number on the syllabus.

Student: (with surprise) Oh...ok...thanks...

Again, it's possible that maybe the prof has never made his name or office number clear to students...but surely not enough profs for this to keep happening on an almost monthly basis. Really?!

Is it May yet? Can it please just be May?

Thanks for allowing me to vent :P

Re: At first I was surprised to see all these posts about not addressing invites properly...

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Oh god, I hear you.

I also work at a unversity, and I've gotten used to the fact that as an instructor, if I don't write my name on the board for every single class, people don't learn my name. When some of my students complain about former teaching fellows they've had, I ask, "Who was your teaching fellow?" and they rarely can answer the question.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • phira said:
    Oh god, I hear you.

I also work at a unversity, and I've gotten used to the fact that as an instructor, if I don't write my name on the board for every single class, people don't learn my name. When some of my students complain about former teaching fellows they've had, I ask, "Who was your teaching fellow?" and they rarely can answer the question.
    Hah! If I can remember someone well enough to complain, I can certainly remember the person's name! But hey, if they can remember beard shade/ length, why bother with names?

• DUDE I'm so glad I make a point to learn names. There is this middle-aged lady in my classes, and we have worked on projects and stuff on and off for about two years. The other day she was writing down names and she asked me mine. I was so stunned that I didn't even respond until like the third time she asked me. I know the names of all her kids like WTF. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Honestly, I don't know if I just have a bionic memory or if everyone else has a terrible memory. But I remember names of movie characters, the names of the actors that played those characters, the names of campers I had when I was a counselor 15 years ago. I remember everyone I've ever met so I get real annoyed when I go to a party at a friend's house and I've met someone there at least 3 times and I know their name (and details about their life) yet they say "nice to meet you!!". People look at me like I'm a creeper when I ask how their son is doing- I'm not the weirdo here because I remember someone I've had 3 different conversations with!!

• I believe everyone should have to wear name tags all the time.  I suck at remembering names.  You can introduce yourself and I will repeat it over and over again and five minutes later, I have not a single clue what it was.  I remember faces and I know that we know each other and it genuinely sucks to not remember your name.  I'd love to blame it on one of my medications which causes issues with short term memory, but this has been a problem since long before the medication.  I always feel awful about it.

Then the other day, I got stuck taking minutes at one of our monthly meetings which includes the attendance.  I sat next to someone and had them help....
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards