Chit Chat

How many weddings have ya'll been to?

2»

Re: How many weddings have ya'll been to?

• I have been to 7 weddings and have been a BM in 2 of them. I anticipate a large amount of weddings in my not-so-distant future, however.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm 32 and I have been a BM five times and a DOC twice, so if you count those seven weddings....

25? (ish)

A lot, quite frankly. And there have been probably another dozen that I have declined to attend for various reasons -- couldn't get off work, couldn't afford to fly to DW, held on the same day as another friend's wedding (that has happened at least three times, btw), etc.

DH and I have one coming up next month, and then I'm in one next fall, and that's all that's on the radar for right now. His BM is kind-of-sort-of-maybe seeing someone, so if that pans out, that'll be another one, eventually.

Maybe we're just boring, but most of our friends are married already. Wedding season is kind of over for us. Baby season, OTOH, is just getting started.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I am 30. I have attended 7 weddings from age 1 to 30. Most of them in the past ten years.
  • Yikes. I'm 27 and I've been invited to three weddings and gone to two of those. Small family and half my friends were already married when I met them, I guess. My FI has a huge family though so as his cousins get older we'll probably go to our fair share. 
    This is me reading threads on TK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey knotties,

I'm 25 and I've been to two weddings. I always thought that was normal, but now I'm seeing that it's 'RSVP season' and I'm wondering, how many weddings have you each been to? And as of right now, how many weddings will you be attending this coming season? Hope all is well!
    I'm 33 and have been in or a guest at 30+ weddings.

I have 2 weddings to attend in 2014, and one coming up in 2015.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I am 31.

I am going to 2 weddings just this week. 9 this year, plus my own.

I would estimate I have been to 30+ weddings and been a BM 9 times.

I would love to know how much this has cost me.
  • I'm 63, and I've been to more than 100 weddings.  I was a church organist for 28 years.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I am 33 and have been to 10 weddings that I can remember.  I have another one this weekend actually, and then mine in August.  I was a junior bridesmaid when I was 14 or so and I was MOH at my BFF's wedding a couple years ago.

My FI is 33 and has only been to 1 (ONE!) wedding in his entire life, and that was the wedding of one of my friends last year that he came to with me.  Needless to say, he is not very much help when it comes to planning our wedding, haha.
  • CMGragain said:
    I'm 63, and I've been to more than 100 weddings.  I was a church organist for 28 years.
    You win!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Wow! I wonder if I'm just enjoying the calm before the storm - Hurricane Everyone-is-getting-married.
  • I never had much of a storm...most of my current friends were married before I met them, and the others have been pretty spaced out. This summer is the busiest.

• LabLove86LabLove86 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2014
    I am 28. Been to about 18 weddings. Declined 3 I can think of. 2 This year for sure - 3 if BF decides he wants to go to his cousins wedding in the fall (Haven't spoken in 10+ years and he thinks they're being gift-grabby by inviting us) 10 of those weddings were in the same season. It was a busy year! ETA - formatting - Well - I tried to anyway - its not working.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• I'm 24 and I have been to 8 so far! 9 at the end of May.

image   image   image

• I'm 35 and have been to about 30 weddings.  A few when I was a kid and then 1 or 2 most every year.  I don't think I've ever had more than 3 in one year. 

In addition I went to one church ceremony with my parents even though I think we weren't invited to it.

I've also declined a few including one at age 23.  I met a guy in a bar on a Friday night.  He asked me that night after just meeting me if I wanted to go to a wedding the next day.  This was a good example to give to DH for why we wanted to use actual names on our invites instead of "and guest."

Interestingly enough all but just a couple of the 30 weddings had the exact same format: church wedding with evening dinner reception, open bar and dancing.  It has been interesting learning on TK about all of the other ways people do weddings and receptions.

• CMGragain said:
    I'm 63, and I've been to more than 100 weddings.  I was a church organist for 28 years.
    You win!
    It was interesting during the 1990's, watching my wedding income decline as church weddings became less popular.  In the early years I might do a dozen weddings a year.  Toward the end, I had maybe five in a year.  People were getting married in parks and hotels instead of church.  Too bad, because at my last church I played a 100 year old pipe organ, and that baby could really wail out the Trumpet Voluntary!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would love to get married at the church I attend now! But alas, that would make it a DW and I'd rather have everyone be able to make it. Silly logistics.
  • I would love to get married at the church I attend now! But alas, that would make it a DW and I'd rather have everyone be able to make it. Silly logistics.
    How can it be a DW if you are currently attending that church?  A destination wedding is one that is held in a different location than the bride and groom are living.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I would love to get married at the church I attend now! But alas, that would make it a DW and I'd rather have everyone be able to make it. Silly logistics.
    How can it be a DW if you are currently attending that church?  A destination wedding is one that is held in a different location than the bride and groom are living.
    @CMGagrain I'm currently living and working near Santa Cruz, CA and he is in Flagstaff, AZ, so we attend different churches at the moment. We won't live together until we're married.
  • @CMGagrain and our family is spread between southern California and all over Arizona, so Santa Cruz would be way too far for them.
  • I'm 27 and I've been to 6 weddings (including my own) as an adult. I went to 4 as a child. I declined one because of travel expenses. I was asked to be the MOH for the only wedding I am invited to this fall, but I was kicked out of/forced to remove myself from the wedding party over attire (too expensive and something I wasn't comfortable wearing) and refusing to be a brideslave. 

I have a cousin that is 29 and she was invited to 14 weddings this year. She can't attend all of them, but mine made the cut. I think the open bar (unusual for my area) had something to do with that!

Anniversary
  • 28, I think I've been to 17, 18 if you count my own.

• I am 27, and I think I have been to 16 weddings including my own. I have only been a bridesmaid once though. There was also another 3 weddings that I declined due to being a poor graduate student and unable to pay for the flight or were scheduled on or the weekend after our own wedding. We also have 3 weddings already coming up this season (plus 2 other couples who are engaged but haven't set a date yet).

Lots of those weddings were for family. Both my and DH's families are big and tend to think of weddings as family reunions and invite everyone. So 4 for Aunts or Uncles, 4 for older cousins, 1 family friend, 4 for our friends who got married right after college, and 2 after our wedding for friends and as I said 3 coming up this year (we were one of the first of our friend group to get married).

I was talking to DH about this the other day and I realized despite going to 16 weddings I have never been to a wedding with a cash bar. Dry wedding sure, limited bar or beer and wine only, also typical, but none where I had to open my wallet (if you are willing to overlook a few dollar dances). Hopefully this trend can continue.
  • I'm 27 and I have attended four weddings as an adult. There were two weddings I can think of off the top of my head that I declined. Most of my friends have partners and children but chose not to have weddings.
  • I'm 30 and have been to 10 weddings in my adult life that I can remember. We have 2 more coming up that I know of.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards