Wedding Etiquette Forum

wedding planner related; would you be put off if...

so this isn't about a wedding, but rather wedding planning. i'd really love to be in the wedding industry as a planner, or stylist, etc, but i'm single and recently divorced. i love weddings, marriage, and want it all for myself one day, even if it didn't work out before. since many of you are/were brides, would you be put off if you knew that your wedding planner was divorced? i'm feeling self-conscious and wondering if maybe i should head a different direction...

Re: wedding planner related; would you be put off if...

• It wouldn't bother me unless the planner was being critical of weddings and marriage in general.

I considered getting into wedding planning a few years ago, but I didn't want to give up my weekends to work.  Plus I didn't want to deal with the brides who were constantly changing their minds or bridezillas.    I will stay in my relatively sane world of corporate meetings and events.  :)
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
    sarawifenowPrettyGirlLostOliveOilsMom
  • Wouldn't bother me a bit, as long as you still like weddings and still help your clients make the day run smoothly.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
    PrettyGirlLost
  • Your marital status should not matter. Your work and experience do. For example, the Millionaire Matchmaker has been unlucky in love several times over but she still has a muli-million dollar business hooking other singles up so that they can find love. Her relationship status by no means seems to hurt her business.

PrettyGirlLostsinginchick13
  • thank you for your input! i certainly would never dream of being critical or weddings or marriage - i love and respect both those things.

and totally hear ya on the weekends and bridezillas...EEK

• I don't think being divorced would be an issue. First off, if I'm your client, why do I know you are divorced at all? You don't neccessarily have to say anything about this to clients if you don't want to. Second, even if I knew you were divorced, it wouldn't bother me. After all, you are helping us plan our wedding, not our marriage/relationship.
  • Your marital status should not matter. Your work and experience do. For example, the Millionaire Matchmaker has been unlucky in love several times over but she still has a muli-million dollar business hooking other singles up so that they can find love. Her relationship status by no means seems to hurt her business.

wow, definitely forgot about her, and really good comparison. thanks!

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I can only see it mattering to someone who is highly superstitious.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It wouldn't bother me at all. Your own relationship status has nothing to do with your ability to be well-organised and run an event smoothly.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    No, the fact that the planner is divorced would not make me think anything negatively or positively about her.  I would make a judgement if she had a wedding that was hideous or didn't follow proper etiquette (I don't know how I would know this, though).
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I'd be put off if she brought a bitter attitude into her work due to her being divorced, or expected me to do something that violated etiquette.  But by itself her divorce wouldn't be off-putting.
  • Our wedding coordinator has never been married and his longest relationship lasted 6 months. But he is a kick ass wedding coordinator. I don't care what his relationship status. 
  • Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Your marital status should not matter. Your work and experience do. For example, the Millionaire Matchmaker has been unlucky in love several times over but she still has a muli-million dollar business hooking other singles up so that they can find love. Her relationship status by no means seems to hurt her business.
    This is exactly who I was thinking of when I read the OP! She's still successful in matchmaking and also the only reason why I might possibly consider ever going back to cable again :)
  • I think you're mixing wedding and marriage. Just because, in your case, the marriage doesn't work doesn't mean that you're not capable of putting together a lovely wedding. I'd say go for it. 
  • It wouldn't bother me at all. Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards