Wedding Etiquette Forum

Registry Honeymoon Cards Etiquette

HELP!

would love to hear some opinions

I am getting married next month and I am in my 30s.  We do not have a wedding registry because we don't need household items (I own a home and have been living on my own for over 12 years so the house is fully stocked with everything we would need).  We thought about doing a honeymoon registry but I am really put off by the percentage these websites take out- hate for guests to contribute hard earned money and not have all of the funds go towards the couple and the intended gift. As of right now we have a box to put on our guest table for cards.  However, my mother has been getting a lot of guests asking her where we are registered and upon finding out that we aren't, saying "well prepare your daughter to get a lot of strange gifts or multiple toasters" I know these guests may be joking but is there a more proper way to ask for honeymoon funds etc.?

Re: Registry Honeymoon Cards Etiquette

• When people ask where you're registered, you can say "we aren't registered anywhere but we're saving for a honeymoon."

Everyone knows money is a good gift.
  • mmhelle said:

HELP!

would love to hear some opinions

I am getting married next month and I am in my 30s.  We do not have a wedding registry because we don't need household items (I own a home and have been living on my own for over 12 years so the house is fully stocked with everything we would need).  We thought about doing a honeymoon registry but I am really put off by the percentage these websites take out- hate for guests to contribute hard earned money and not have all of the funds go towards the couple and the intended gift. As of right now we have a box to put on our guest table for cards.  However, my mother has been getting a lot of guests asking her where we are registered and upon finding out that we aren't, saying "well prepare your daughter to get a lot of strange gifts or multiple toasters" I know these guests may be joking but is there a more proper way to ask for honeymoon funds etc.?

Honeymoon funds are rude because they are essentially asking for money. When people ask where you are registered simply say that you aren't registering but you're saving up for your honeymoon. They will get the hint. 

As for weird duplicates, that very might happen and is the risk you run with not registering. Would you consider having a small one of 10-15 items like a new set of sheets and towels since you know someday you will need some?
  • We've been living together for several years, so we added some sheet sets and towels, as we needed to upgrade. Plus, I wanted stuff that matched our current space. Our sheets and towels were a hodgepodge left over from our grad school days.

We also registered for silverware, as we had a few sets all mixed together.

Some guests asked if there was anything else we might want, especially once those were all bought up, and we said, "Not really. We're pretty set as far as household items. Right now, we're focusing on buying a house." That gives the hint without actually asking for money.

Honestly, in my experience, most wedding guests give cash. It's such an easy gift, and everyone knows it will help the couple. Plus, you don't get duplicates. :)

We had 43 guests and got cash from 35 of them. The rest gave us physical gifts.

We did not have a money dance or set out a tacky fundraiser (honeyfund) jar. Our guests had already given us gifts; it would have been rude to ask for more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards